Menu

Herbs & Spices

Would you share your must-haves for cooking/baking?

I've cleaned out my spice cupboard. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.:001_huh: Some of those things have been around since our almost 14yo was a Ker! So I will be restocking with new herbs and spices & was wondering what interesting things I might be missing.

I was thinking that perhaps some new ideas will motivate me to do something creative in the kitchen!:001_smile: DH would surely appreciate that!

:bigear:Thanks!

Well, I might as well answer here, since the question is here at the moment. Buying the herbs and spices you use regularly is a good start! We use a lot of coriander, cummin, turmeric and garam masala since dh likes curry. I also like sweet paprika, culinary lavender and annatto. I have a really good casserole recipe using star anise and while it doesn't come in powdered form, tamarind is a fun thing too.

I think I have about 40 jars on my spice shelf, from different cooking phases I've been through, but that makes me happy! A tidy spice shelf would make me as sad as an empty bookshelf.

:)

Rosie

I'll answer here, too. My spice shelf could probably use a bit of organization, but I love it that way. I would say must haves are:

cumin, coriander, cinnamon, coarse sea salt, peppercorns, powdered mustard, mustard seed, cumin seed, celery seed, turmeric, chili powder, five spice powder, cloves (whole and powdered), basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, cayenne, hmmm, that's a lot. It will be expensive to replace, but worth it. I buy some in bulk from our food coop if I use it often (cinnamon, cumin, peppercorns and sea salt) and the others at the health food store or dried from the farmer's market or my garden. Happy Cooking!

Must-haves for us are:

Badia seasoning

Adobo (staple in a lot of Latin American cooking)

oregano

thyme

cumin

rosemary

Tandoori seasoning

Moroccan seasoning

dill

basil

parsley

curry

chili

cilantro

dry mustard

smoked paprika

cinnamon

nutmeg

ground cloves

whole vanilla (mmm..)

We're big on spices here -- we actually finish them once in a while ;) Dh loves to use cilantro and cajun seasoning. He calls me "the spice girl :)

And a grinder for whole black peppers, please!

Thank you all for your posts! I appreciate it; especially when I posted on the wrong forum!:001_huh:

I obviously am too boring when it comes to seasonings!:glare: I'd not ever heard of some on your lists. I love the spices from Penzey's! We've only tried a few of the selections, but would like to try some others. Thanks for the suggestions!

Here's the list of what I consider essential...

garlic powder

onion powder

chili powder

cinnamon

ground ginger

cumin

Salt/pepper

Here's some others that I really enjoy on a regular basis...

marjoram

thyme

sage

bay leaves (for soups)

chipotle pepper powder

nutmeg (prefer whole)

paprika

allspice

Old Bay

Here's some I use on occasion

star anise

tarragon

szechuan peppercorns

celery seeds

Happy spice hunting!

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme!

Sea salt and whole pepper for grinding.

Cinnamon, vanilla flavoring and any others you might use regularly.

Nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom if you bake sweets or drink teas.

Tobasco, Worchestershire, and soy sauces; perhaps also fish sauce or teriyaki if you cook a lot of oriental foods.

Onion powder, garlic powder, Tony Chachere's, Old Bay seasoning.

I keep minced garlic in the fridge and minced onion in the freezer.

Bay leaves.

Cumin and curry powder for Indian foods or Thai (also use cinnamon and nutmeg in those, etc.)

Oregano and dill. Cayenne and Beau Monde. Lemon Pepper. Tony Chachere's blackening seasoning.... That's all I can think of right now!

The only thing I can think of to add to the wonderful previous lists is saffron, black and yellow mustard seeds, fenugreek and asafoetida, but I do a lot of Indian cooking that involves a lot of spices. I buy spices in large packets rather than the little bottles or pkts. Recently I had a windfall of finding about 50 empty spice bottles- many the normal small size but many larger sizes too, 2nd hand, for just a few $. I have quite a bit of cupboard space devoted to spices.