Menu

Elie Wiesel has passed :(

umsami

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/elie-wiesel-holocaust-survivor-and-nobel-peace-prize-winner-dies-at-87/

"

Elie Wiesel, who emerged from the Holocaust to become one of the most renowned writers and activists of the 20th century, died in Manhattan on Saturday, the New York Times reported. He was 87.

“For the dead and the living, we must bear witness.â€

Wiesel’s writing illuminated the horrors of the Holocaust and explored questions of Jewish identity in the years that followed.

He was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 for serving as “one of the most important spiritual leaders and guides in an age when violence, repression and racism continue to characterise the world,†the Norweigan Nobel Committee wrote that year."

• Like 5

What a sad day.  He was a great man who had to endure a truly horrid part of life.

One of my favorite memories was the time youngest called from college totally excited to tell us he had just had a class taught by him.  (He often taught at Eckerd in the winter months.)  Youngest doesn't call that much.  I loved that that moment was moving enough to him to want to share "on the spot."

Soon I'll have to share the news with him.   :sad:  I know he'll be bummed.  

• Like 5

He was a great man, and did so very much good..  but I had no idea he was still alive    :blush:    I downloaded his book "Night" into my audible file about a month ago.  Still haven't had a chance to listen... maybe I'll do that one next. 

may his memory be eternal! 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 3

I saw him speak once at the Simon Weisenthal in LA.

I have loved his books.  When I had the choice of what to teach my 9th grade English class, and Night was one of the options, I taught it, for years. I have read them all.

Now my son is reading them all.  He was sad today too.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2