Menu

Stoopid Question...London Broil

You can just broil it, but it might be kind of tough. I wouldn't cook it like a pot roast, but you might want to marinate it before you cook it to tenderize it. Usually you serve it by cutting it into thin slices against the grain. Try a google search and I'm sure a million recipes will come up--pick one that sounds good!

London broil is actually the way the meat is cooked. It isn't the cut of meat. The cut of meat is actually a top round Roast.

If you are going to cook the meat like a pot roast (which I have done) I would suggest you first pan sear the meat.

I will season the meat with Montreal Steak seasoning, cut a couple pats of butter and place in a preheated skillet on high. This sears the outside of the meat and browns it nicely. You don't want to cook this too long in the oven because it will become very tough. Adding potatoes or carrots will not give them enough time to bake.

What I then do is add a cup of coffee to my skillet that I just browned the meat in to pull up the flavoring from the butter and seasoning and bring that to a very quick boil. The skillet should still be hot from browning the meat. Pour that over your meat in the baking dish. Cover with foil and depending on the weight cook for about 20-30 (?) minutes on 400. Take it out and let it sit. The meat will continue to cook. We like ours with some pink in it.

You can pour off what is left in the pan and add some broth to make au juice to pour over the meat when you serve it.

Our favorite way to do this meat....I make a marinade with the steak seasoning. 1/4 cup olive oil, 1-2 teaspoons of lite sodium soy sauce, 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1-2 tablespoons of the steak seasoning. Mix well and coat both sides of the meat and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour before cooking.

We will cook it on the grill searing the outside almost like a blackened steak. While the meat has been marinating, I scrub some potatoes, microwave them for about 8 minutes to get them soft. Melt some butter and add some garlic and herb seasoning. I cut the potatoes in half and baste them with the butter and garlic. You can do these on the grill or in the oven. Watch them on the grill, the butter can cause the potatoes to burn. I will then bake them in the oven cut side up until golden brown. This is my families absolute favorite meal.

When the potatoes are almost done, say another 10 minutes or so I will then take the meat and put it on the grill on high heat watching it. When I take it off it will still feel pretty rare. The meat continues to cook for another couple of minutes even after removing it from the grill.

Here is some great info...

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa101604a.htm

http://www.momswhothink.com/dinner-recipes/london-broil-recipe.html

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotroundsteak/r/bl124c11.htm

This one looks yummy....

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001807moms_pan-fried_london_broil_steak.php

http://www.recipezaar.com/159268

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,london_broil,FF.html

Edited by GSMP

I will be the oddball and mention that I cook my london broil in other ways.

I do often marinate, grill, and slice thin against the grain, but I do a couple of other things too. I sometimes cook london broil like a pot roast. It comes out fine, and I like it because I can have a pot roast dinner with less fat than say, a chuck roast. ETA: I just wanted to clarify that when I do this, I'm cooking it long, low, and slow, like *all day*. Not like roast beef, but like an actual pot roast with gravy.

Another way that I use london broil is to put it in the crock pot with a jar of salsa or can of enchilada sauce. I let it cook all day, and then at dinner we shred it up and use it in tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. I'm a California girl though, and we eat mexican food several times per week.

Edited by Julie in CA

I do often marinate, grill, and slice thin against the grain, but I do a couple of other things too. I sometimes cook london broil like a pot roast. It comes out fine, and I like it because I can have a pot roast dinner with less fat than say, a chuck roast.

Another way that I use london broil is to put it in the crock pot with a jar of salsa or can of enchilada sauce. I let it cook all day, and then at dinner we shred it up and use it in tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. I'm a California girl though, and we eat mexican food several times per week.

Oh, I am going to have to try the crockpot with salsa or enchilada sauce. That sounds yummy.....:001_smile:

I have done that with chicken and made chicken quesadillas.

All this talk about london broil and I just pulled one out of the freezer. Now to decide which way I would like to cook it....:lol:

This is really fabulous, especially if you like things a bit spicy.

PEPPERY LONDON BROIL

1 beef flank steak (about 3/4 pound)

1 garlic clove

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

With a meat fork, pierce holes in both sides of meat. Make a paste with garlic, seasoned salt, and red pepper flakes; rub over both sides of meat. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; add Worcestershire sauce. Seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning once. Remove meat; discard marinade. Broil or grill over hot heat until meat reaches desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. To serve, thinly slice across the grain. YIELD: 2 servings.

At the same time, I make the following recipe to serve with the Peppery London Broil.

PASTA WITH ASPARAGUS

1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil

1 tablespoon butter or margarine

5 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

2 to 3 dashes hot pepper sauce

1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

Salt to taste

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

8 ounces mostaccioli or rotini, cooked and drained

In a skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high. Cook garlic, red pepper flakes, and hot pepper sauce for 2 to 3 minutes. Add asparagus, salt, and pepper; saute until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add Parmesan cheese; mix well. Pour over hot pasta and toss to coat. Serve immediately. YIELD: 4 to 6 servings.

This makes a great meal! Enjoy.

Linda

I do often marinate, grill, and slice thin against the grain, but I do a couple of other things too. I sometimes cook london broil like a pot roast. It comes out fine, and I like it because I can have a pot roast dinner with less fat than say, a chuck roast. ETA: I just wanted to clarify that when I do this, I'm cooking it long, low, and slow, like *all day*. Not like roast beef, but like an actual pot roast with gravy.

I never thought of cooking it this way. It sounds good and I like less fat. I'm doing this next time.

Janet

and it was soooooo goooooood.

I rubbed the thing down with olive oil, salt, pepper, and onion powder. I used the oil sparingly and was generous with everything else. I placed it on foil lined cookie sheet, the fattiest side up. Cooked in a 475 degree oven for about 35 minutes. The time really depends on how thick your piece is. Removed it and covered with foil. Sliced it about 20 minutes later.

I could have eaten the whole thing on my own.