Menu

If I am going to Portland Maine, what area of town do I want to stay in?

Shellydon

When are you coming?

Downtown hotels are nice--you'd be on or near the harbour, and right in the middle of the city. But anywhere in Portland is fine, there aren't really areas to avoid. The Clarion on Forest Ave is a fine budget choice, though a bit too far to walk to downtown. Traffic isn't anything to worry about though, and parking is pretty inexpensive in the downtown lots.

Are you planning to spend all your time in Portland?

When are you coming?

Downtown hotels are nice--you'd be on or near the harbour, and right in the middle of the city. But anywhere in Portland is fine, there aren't really areas to avoid. The Clarion on Forest Ave is a fine budget choice, though a bit too far to walk to downtown. Traffic isn't anything to worry about though, and parking is pretty inexpensive in the downtown lots.

Are you planning to spend all your time in Portland?

That helps, thank you.  Actually I have no idea what we are doing yet.  We'll take a train from Boston to Portland.  I am assuming we'll need to rent a car.  I would be up for anything within a couple of hours drive.

ETA-- arriving the end of August

Edited by Shellydon

That helps, thank you. Actually I have no idea what we are doing yet. We'll take a train from Boston to Portland. I am assuming we'll need to rent a car. I would be up for anything within a couple of hours drive.

ETA-- arriving the end of August

If you are arriving by train, you'll either need a car or plan to take a taxi to downtown. Stupidly, town is essentially inaccessible from the train station. The train is fun, though, and easy.

If you want ideas for specific areas, feel free to pm me.

Kennebunkport is a tourist town some 20-30 minutes south of Portland. In August it will be crowded and places to stay will be expensive and likely hard to come by this late. Southern Maine (south of Portland) is full of terrific beach towns, but they will all be crowded that time of year. Ogunquit and Old Orchard Beach (fun boardwalk and pier) are a couple of my favourites.

Midcoast Maine (up the coast from Portland all the way to Camden and beyond) also has great beach towns, but they have a more mellow vibe. Camden is the best known and offers tons to do.

Portland makes a great base so you can enjoy both areas--they really are quite different--and the city is fun in its own right. It's a serious foodie town; you'll eat well almost anywhere you choose to go.

Have fun planning! :)

Edited by MEmama