Menu

treadmills

gardenmom5

ds  has stated he likes running where he has easy access to a waterbottle.  so . what he really means is: a treadmill.

i'm looking on our local craigslist (there are LOTS).   not sure how much I'll spend, depends what's out there.

what do I look for?  what should I absolutely avoid?

he's firm about wanting a treadmill.  he has a camel back.

he's not currently in shape - so if he'll use it, I'll buy one (used lots of selection - especially people who are moving and don't want to pay to move one).  if he doesn't use it, I can always sell it.  I do have space.

Just make sure it is sturdy enough for running. Our first treadmill was the cheapest we could get at Sears--I think a Proform space saver model. I used it for walking, so it was fine and lasted 11 years. We replaced it with a nicer Nordic Track--also from Sears, also a space saver model. It was so much sturdier that dh and I realized that we could run on it, where the first treadmill always just felt too flimsy to put that kind of stress on it. If you're buying used, I would want to try it out to just make sure it is pretty sturdy.

• Like 1

The treadmill needs to be big enough for your son.  Dh needed one that would accommodate him; for him it needed to have a wider base than I would need and be powerful enough to for a 6 foot tall man to run hard on.  He's not here or I'd ask him for recs.  He's been running on the same treadmill for over 10 years, so it was well worth the investment.  

Purchasing a used one, I'd make sure the belt didn't look dried out, loose, warped etc; and I'd want one that wasn't stored or used outside.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy one without him trying it first. And make sure it has the level of incline he wants if that's something he's interested in. A lot are bells and whistles, but I've honestly gotten much picker about treadmills the more I've used them. If you decide the one you buy isn't for you, take comfort in knowing they usually aren't hard to get rid of. :) They don't last very long on Craiglist in my experience.