Menu

Were you a good cook?

Night Elf

I wasn't a good cook, but I could cook lots of things decently. I can line cook now, which is the penultimate, in the restaurant world. You never meet a seasoned line cook who doesn't have a high IQ and isn't a good worker. But when I moved out I could make a decent breakfast, bake cake and cookies, fry chicken and make pot roast. When ds was born and I couldn't work for a few months I realized that if I was going to become a good cook this was my time and I took advantage and learned how to make soups, sauces, high quality salads and bake bread. If the Foodnetwork  had been what it is now I probably would have learned much more, lol.

No, I wasn't a good cook before leaving home. I never cooked much at all. 

I learned by trial and error also, but I like cooking just fine. The daily grind of cooking for 4 while also keeping up with everything else can get old, but I enjoy the cooking itself, especially when I have a bit more time. So I don't think you can blame your parents for you not liking to cook, lol. 

I knew how to cook more than many of my dorm-mates.  But I didn't like cooking, so I never aspired to be viewed as a "good cook."  And I had no interest in cooking a complex meal for just myself.

Funny - recently I've been teaching the usual "cook" of the household some techniques as she tries new-to-her dishes.  My kids are fascinated that I could offer any cooking advice, LOL.

When you got your own place, whether you were married or not, were you a good cook? My mom didn't teach me how to cook. I didn't even know how to boil an egg. I had to learn by trial and error. I think that's why I hate cooking even now.

I was, yes, but I grew up in a food-centered family!

Food is integral to our time as a family (still). All of the fun happens in the kitchen, so as kids we always wanted to be in there with the aunties. And they were generous with the sampling. And they expected you to sit and roll, chop, or whatever with them if you were going to be in there - no freeloaders allowed, they'd put you to work! And for the most part, we loved it and wanted it.

My ex-husband's family was the same way, so from my first exposure I was front and center in the their kitchen learning how to prepare their foods. Like us, their family immigrated to the States but they're from a different hemisphere and continent so the food and their techniques are very different. I feel like I got a good handle on my ex-husband's staple favorites pretty early on in our marriage (though never as good as his mom's or his grandma's, of course!)

But I still hate to cook today. So a lot of time I just don't LOL.