Menu

resume help - constructive criticism only

EmilyGF

Hi all,

Before I start, please don't tell me what I "should" have done in the past. Only help going forward, please.

I've been trolling a certain job site for about two years because I have a very specific set of criteria for jobs that I will apply to. My hubby wants me only to work jobs that actually will leave me feeling that I've done something useful and I don't want to work more than 15 hours/week. I also just made a significant curricular change that should free up some of my time. Well, right after making that change, a job came up on the site that hit every single one of our criteria. So now I'm working on my resume.

How on earth do I do that??? I haven't worked a steadily paid job since 2007 (secretary), and that was only 10 hours/week and from home. Before kids, I was an engineer. I have an engineering degree. In junior high and high school, I worked for a bookkeeper for 6 years, which means I have mad Excel skills (still, since I use Excel in real life). I worked at a theater part time in college, sometimes as manager. Though that would be my dream job, I haven't found a nearby theater to manage and I don't want to commute!

The job involves managing a lab so I think the Excel skills kick in, but that paid part of life was so long ago.

How do I even go about writing a resume? I guess I should have started this when I began trolling the job website, but I didn't, so that advice won't help!

thanks,

Emily

• Like 1

Maybe elaborate on the manager aspect of your last job with bullet points. If you have any volunteer/unpaid experience relevant perhaps that could come into play as well (coordinating field trips/events?). I don't know if that would necessarily have a place on the resumé, but maybe you could work it into a cover letter.

This is kind of a no brainer, but it helps to remind myself... resumé is to get an interview. Interview is to get job. Baby steps. What will make them want to interview you, that's what you draw attention to on the resumé and/or cover letter. And another thing that probably goes without saying, include a cover if at all possible (I don't know if there's a way to attach on on the job site).

Good luck

Just my opinion as an ignorant bystander, lol.

Wow, an engineering degree! That says to me that you sre focused, smart, able to manage complex projects, pay attention to detail... I'd be impressed. Those aren't skills/characteristics that you lose.

Since you only want part time, I am thinking your degree would not make them think you are overqualified.

The theater and excel are nice, but not as impressive, inho, very humble opinion.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

There are apparently certain key words that the HR department wants in your resume for each job description if they use some sort of resume-sorting criteria. It helps them knock out the people who just submit applications/resumes to every job that looks interesting. So, see if you can find out what some of those key words are and include some, if you can. (Google should be able to help.) 

• Like 3