Menu

ADP health savings account

DawnM

We have been putting $100 into the account per month and now have over $1000 in there we have to spend by next March.

The year before we were spending a lot on my son's therapy, and we thought it would be good to put money into a tax free account for that, but now he is doing better and not needing as much therapy, and so we have a surplus.

I am confused about where I can spend this.

I want to get some CPAP supplies, about $100 worth.  

Does it matter where I get them?   For example, can I order them from Amazon and just prove what I bought, or do I have to order from a designated CPAP supplier?

Anyone know?

I don't have that exact account, but we buy stuff from anyplace and are reimbursed as long as we have doctor's prescription.

For using the excess, we've done eye exams and contact lenses/glasses which are not covered by our health care plan.

Also, we've used it to help pay for orthodontia.

In fact, one reason we had our second dd's braces put on a year early was to take advantage of a surplus in our account.

I thought health saving accounts, unlike flexible spending accounts, could be carried over from year to year? I know mine can.

I have a credit card and checks for my HSA now and I would just buy whatever allowed medical supplies I needed wherever I wanted and document.

Edited by OnMyOwn

I thought health saving accounts, unlike flexible spending accounts, could be carried over from year to year? I know mine can.

I have a credit card and checks for my HSA now and I would just buy whatever allowed medical supplies I needed wherever I wanted and document.

This is not an HSA.  

I don't have that exact account, but we buy stuff from anyplace and are reimbursed as long as we have doctor's prescription.

For using the excess, we've done eye exams and contact lenses/glasses which are not covered by our health care plan.

Also, we've used it to help pay for orthodontia.

In fact, one reason we had our second dd's braces put on a year early was to take advantage of a surplus in our account.

Do I need a prescription for CPAP supplies?  That would seem odd.  And would require another doctor's visit, which would negate the savings as our copay is $20, meaning the 20% savings would be gone.

ARGH!

HSAs are multi-year. I am guessing OP is looking at a FSA (they have both Health and Child Care ones) - they must be used by the end of the year or you lose the money.

Some ideas for the OP:

glasses or contacts

dentist or orthodontic appointments

buy a 3 month supply of a maintenance prescription toward the end of the year

orthotics 

if a person uses Miralax or something OTC like that, see if Dr will prescribe - I believe you can use the FSA if it is prescribed

Do I need a prescription for CPAP supplies?  That would seem odd.  And would require another doctor's visit, which would negate the savings as our copay is $20, meaning the 20% savings would be gone.

ARGH!

Call your doctor.

Ours will fax a script to us for no charge. They know how these accounts work.

Our dr will write us one for Benadryl, Ibuprofen, etc. so we can use those funds. IT's basically that the account managers want to ensure that the owner of the account is buying and using the items.

• Like 1

ARGH!

According to this (put out when they started requiring prescriptions for OTC things), CPAP is covered. I would poke around your company's website and see if there is an updated list. 

http://www.newsura.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Eligible-FSA-HSA-Expenses-and-OTC-Products.pdf

• Like 1

ARGH!

You do not need a prescription to buy CPAP supplies from Amazon. You might need it to claim the money in the ADP account.

• Like 1

You do not need a prescription to buy CPAP supplies from Amazon. You might need it to claim the money in the ADP account.

Yes, that's it.  The link I posted above has a chart that notes which things need prescriptions and which don't.  It is from ADP, but I think the rules are the same for everyone since they come from the IRS.  The cart just makes it easy...well, as easy as anything in the medical billing world is!