Menu

Writing curriculum for 11 year old

GloriaMS

Hi, I need a writing curriculum for my 11 year old day dreamer.  It is obvious to us that she needs to learn to organize her thoughts. She loves to read, she loves to listen to me reading, she loves to talk, but writing is  a different matter.  English is my second language and I am not as confident as I wished and we also live overseas. Where should I start?  I dread spending the time looking for something that I don't know much about. Are there any curriculums that come with online teaching or some kind of teacher.   How about any good written curriculum?  I forgot to mention, she is a native English speaker.

Edited by GloriaMS

• 4 months later...

Hi, I need a writing curriculum for my 11 year old day dreamer.  It is obvious to us that she needs to learn to organize her thoughts. She loves to read, she loves to listen to me reading, she loves to talk, but writing is  a different matter.  English is my second language and I am not as confident as I wished and we also live overseas. Where should I start?  I dread spending the time looking for something that I don't know much about. Are there any curriculums that come with online teaching or some kind of teacher.   How about any good written curriculum?  I forgot to mention, she is a native English speaker.

You might consider the Lux Writing Center

• 7 months later...

Just a thought -- as a basic start, since you use GWG, have you looked at Winning With Writing?  I saw the MUS and GWG in your signature, and WWW would have a similar feel -- incremental instruction, very clear directions.  No DVD but it isn't necessary. 

Farrar, would the Bravewriter class provide enough background for a non-native teacher to feel comfortable grading, do you think? 

I haven't taken one of the classes, actually. But for this level, yes, I think it would be enough to help support a parent in evaluating a student's work. And they do provide feedback as well as modeling feedback. So much of Brave Writer is about developing your inner voice - her dd is a native speaker and has that voice - it would be about learning to trust that.