Menu

How big of a deal is pencil grip really?

DS5 has pretty nice handwriting when he holds his pencil in the position he's comfortable with. More importantly, he LOVES writing/coloring -- when allowed to do it his way.

But "his way" is not really the "correct" way. I'm not sure what you call the "correct" way (does it have a name?), and I know there are some variations, so I'm not trying to be dogmatic about it but merely find a way to describe it. By "correct" I mean the usual recommended two- or three-finger grip. His way is not exactly using his whole fist, but it incorporates all of his fingers, except maybe the pinky. (Again, so hard to describe! Maybe I can take a pic and post it if that helps.)

He makes an effort to use the "correct" grip when reminded, but grudgingly, and it clearly frustrates him that it's so much more difficult for him to maneuver the pencil that way. His preschool teacher had him use a rubber gripping device on his pencil, but honestly, I don't see that it helped in any way. I've tried various methods to help him. He doesn't struggle so much to hold the pencil correctly, but he struggles a lot to make it do what he wants it to do when he's holding it in the "correct" way. His hand muscles clearly aren't up to the task.

I don't want him to get stuck in a habit that will be detrimental to him down the road. But I also don't want to make writing/coloring so difficult that he begins to really hate it. Do I let him go his own way and try to sort it out later when hopefully his fine motor skills have improved? Insist that he practice the "correct" grip every time he writes or colors? Something else?

The problem with an "improper" pencil grip is that it may lead to pain and fatigue as the student gets older and leangth of writing tasks increase. It is supposed to be much easier to correct a grip at a young age rather than after the habit is ingrained.

There is actually more than one "correct" pencil grip, so you may want to look for pictures online. The standard grip is called a tripod grip, but a quad grip can also be "correct".

My un-expert opinion would be to have him use a standard grip during handwriting instruction time, and let him do what ever he wants the rest of the time.

There are lots of tips and tricks to help with pencil grip including different sizes and shapes of pencils and different grips that slide on the pencil to encourage correct grip. With my own DS who is now 14, we went thrown many different tools and many years of struggle, but he now can use the standard sizw Ticonderoga triangle pencils. If he uses round or octagonal pencils he will eventually revert to his old grip.

Online somewhere, several years ago I was able to purchase a sample pack of many different writing tools which allowed me to try out which ones worked best for my DS. I will try to find where that was and post the link.

• Like 4

I would correct it now. It will become a problem when he needs to take notes in class or has to write an in class essay. I see too many kids in middle school who cannot keep up with note taking because of this (I assume it is because I can see the unproper grip).

• Like 2

I wish someone had corrected my grip.

I never had trouble taking notes, but always had trouble with long written exercises (the kind where you're copying out 10+ sentences), essay questions, etc. About six sentences into anything, my wrist hurts.

• Like 1

I don't find it important, especially today, when most of what they do will end up being on a keyboard.

I have a "wrong" grip and it did not prevent me from attaining multiple degrees.  Sure, when I write for a long time, there is pressure on one finger but I stop and it gets better.

One of my kids has a "wrong" grip and it has been irrelevant mostly.  This one did have illegible handwriting but it has gotten better with age.  And he wants to be a doctor, so...

• Like 3

There are websites that show various pencil grips and the range of what is considered acceptable.  You are correct that there are some alternate grips that are less ideal but acceptable.  What you're describing *doesn't sound* like any of them, so google and see for yourself.  Having had two kids go through OT, my personal advice would be to get an OT eval and be done with it.  It's simple, probably covered by your insurance, and they can uncover if there's a *reason* he's having trouble getting to a more appropriate grip.  That *reason* is more important than the actual grip.  

At this age (5) sometimes they'll choose to watch, give you a few activities, and check it again later.  So again an OT eval would be a way to check that, get some advice, get a game plan.  

• Like 1

There are websites that show various pencil grips and the range of what is considered acceptable.  You are correct that there are some alternate grips that are less ideal but acceptable.  What you're describing *doesn't sound* like any of them, so google and see for yourself.  Having had two kids go through OT, my personal advice would be to get an OT eval and be done with it.  It's simple, probably covered by your insurance, and they can uncover if there's a *reason* he's having trouble getting to a more appropriate grip.  That *reason* is more important than the actual grip.  

At this age (5) sometimes they'll choose to watch, give you a few activities, and check it again later.  So again an OT eval would be a way to check that, get some advice, get a game plan.  

Is that the kind of thing you set up through the pediatrician?

Yes, if you want your insurance to cover it, you'll get the referral from your ped.  Your ped can also check your ds to see if he has low muscle tone, talk about sensory issues, development, that kind of thing.  If you do *not* need a referral from your ped for insurance purposes, you can call up an OT and schedule that directly.  Also, your ps can run an OT eval.

• Like 1

I have found that most therapies want a referral. Our insurance doesn't require a referral, but the therapy offices have asked for one before they will schedule an eval. If your son has been to the pediatrician for a check up in the past year, they may be willing to do a referral without an appointment. Never hurts to ask :)

• Like 1

This might be a few years out for your son, but as my kids have taken the AP tests, their hands get tired because there is quite a bit of hand writing required for the FRQ's and DBQ's. Perhaps by the time your ds is taking the AP tests, computers will be allowed. Right now, though, there is a lot of writing and it causes my dc's hands to be sore even with the proper grip.

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 1