Menu

science for the fall grades 1,3,5

I am looking at science for the fall for my girls in grades 1,3,5.  We have done the Calvert science books where a little bit about each topic is covered each year and goes deeper as they get older.  I am open to combining as many grades as possible and have ruled out Apologia based on needing a greater variety over the year.  Does anyone have experience with Elemental Science or have a suggestion.  I have also looked briefly at BookShark science as we will be doing their history/literature as well.

IDEAS?? and why you love it!

p.s. I also have a 4 year old and 8th and 9th grade boys at home as well

Mystery Science. It's open and go (no planning required), has engaging videos, can be used for multiple grade levels, and the experiments aren't difficult to do.

We have used Calvert for several years, but the textbook/worksheet method was kind of boring. I was looking for something more fun and enjoyable and found Mystery Science.

• Like 1

We like Mr. Q science.  It's not the be all, end all, greatest thing since sliced bread, but it is solid and gets the job done.

The kids like the conversational tone of his text books and the quirky illustrations.  I like the different forms of vocabulary review (cross words, matching, fill in the blank, etc) since exposure and vocabulary building are two of my main goals for elementary science.  We all like the activities - simple, relevant and using household materials.

I especially like the focus on the scientific method and experiment design.  Periodically, throughout the year, kids go through the process of formulating a hypothesis, deciding on dependent and independent variables, designing and running the experiment and then charting and graphing the data.

We used Elementary Life Science (which is completely free) this past year and are using Elementary Earth Science this coming year.  I have no experience with it, but he also offers Advanced courses for middle/high school students.

Wendy

We're using Elemental Science Chemistry for the Grammar Stage this year and my boys (grades 1, 3, and 5) love it.  It's a little over my 1st grader's head.  I just picked a few basic concepts I wanted him to know and have hammered those in with review - I consider anything else he absorbs to be a bonus:)  I made a youtube playlist which I think helps all of them understand and definitely piques interest.  We always start by listening to a song of all the elements and they've memorized close to half since we started about 3 months ago (because they wanted to, not because I said they had to).  Elemental Science just published a second edition and I like the layout much better - I'm doing a combo of both editions since I already had the spines for the 1st.  And they have great customer service:)  I'm going to try to incorporate a little kitchen chemistry too, maybe using Ellen McHenry.

In the past mine have also liked Sonlight resources and will watch the videos for fun - weird:)

My favorite is Nancy Larson Science for the 1, 3, 5.  It comes with EVERYTHING you need to do the experiments and it's the only science curriculum I've ever fully completed.  I'm no real help for the 8th grader.  Exploration Education Science is really good for that age though. 

• 2 weeks later...

(I'm brand new to homeschooling, so feel free to ignore everything I am about to say...)

Are you following the history progression of WTM/SOTW? 

I'm a 'big picture planner' type, and recently made myself a big fat spreadsheet so that I could see exactly how science & history would play out over the next 19 years for my 1st grader, 4yr old, 2yr old, and soon-to-be-born baby. When I saw your question, I immediately opened up my spreadsheet and tweaked it to fit your family. I don't think that it helps with choosing a textbook series, but it helped me kill 5 minutes while the kids were watching tv...

*yellow is high school level, green is middle school level, white is elementary school level, and grey is 'just listening' level*

post-87259-0-12634700-1466464712_thumb.png

Edited by Noreen Claire