Menu

how to protect car upholstery

hornblower

My new car has light grey, sort of plush upholstery. 

What do you guys to protect upholstery? Should I spray it with fabric protector?

I skipped it when the dealer offered because I heard those things were kind of a rip off.. & people said if you want it done to go to a proper detailing place. 

Should I do that? 

There aren't small children in the car & the dogs ride crated but I'm worried about things like the sunscreen on my arm rubbing off on the arm rest, or spilling my Coke or coffee.... 

I've never done anything to upholstery. The great thing is that, unlike leather, none of that stuff shows. Or at least that been my experience. Even coffee just disappears. DH's leather seats, predictably, were ruined on the first day because of sunscreen. So gross.

(Not saying I told him so or anything...)

• Like 2

I've never done anything to upholstery. The great thing is that, unlike leather, none of that stuff shows. Or at least that been my experience. Even coffee just disappears. DH's leather seats, predictably, were ruined on the first day because of sunscreen. So gross.

(Not saying I told him so or anything...)

This has not been my experience with plush upholstery at all unless you are speaking specifically of gray upholstery.  Our car has beige/tan plush upholstery and everything shows on it; when we try to clean it, we end up with a line around the stain from the cleaner. 

I wish we had bought some inexpensive seat covers when we bought the car.  It is not realistic for us to ban eating and drinking in the vehicle.  I figure after it gets too disgusting, we'll take it to a detailer.

Sorry I am of no help and am just arguing.  :-)

ETA: vehicle is a 2015 Honda. 

Edited by marbel

I have cream colored fabric in my 2014 car.

It's not been a problem at all...we are careful and mop up spills as soon as they happen--the only kiddo in my car is usually my 6 year old granddaughter and my little dog. We usually put a quilt down before either of them get in since I do have clients ride in my car from time to time.

I really believe that today's auto fabrics have a stain repellent built right in. If I were going to do it, I'd talk to a couple of detail places and have them do it.

• Like 1

This has not been my experience with plush upholstery at all unless you are speaking specifically of gray upholstery. Our car has beige/tan plush upholstery and everything shows on it; when we try to clean it, we end up with a line around the stain from the cleaner.

I wish we had bought some inexpensive seat covers when we bought the car. It is not realistic for us to ban eating and drinking in the vehicle. I figure after it gets too disgusting, we'll take it to a detailer.

Sorry I am of no help and am just arguing. :-)

ETA: vehicle is a 2015 Honda.

Hmm, yeah, come to think of it my former car had dark gray fabric and my current car has a lighter gray fabric. Interesting! So it might be that gray is unusually forgiving?

Car seats are a good idea. I wish we had them over the leather seats in DH's car. I refuse to sit on it in the summer and use a beach towel instead.

• Like 1

We always get fabric upholstery in our vehicles (just thinking about leather and our summer heat/humidity makes me break out in a sweat) and we've never done anything to prevent stains and have never had any problem.  Maybe we're unusually neat, but I don't think so.  Our oldest vehicle is a 2001 and all the upholstery still looks remarkably good.

• Like 1

I have a very light grey upholstery in my van, I sprayed the hell out of it with Scotchgard when I bought it new in September of 2013.  I DO have kids and a dog out of crate in it, I've spilled soda and Starbucks cold fraps in it (repeatedly, the darn lid always drips!)

Thanks to the Scotchgard, 5 minutes with my Spotbot (the handheld, not the auto thingie) and it looks new again.  Scotchgard is fabulous, imo.