Menu

Do you refrigerate butter?

J-rap

We refrigerate it, but there are times when it might take us months to go through one stick, so leaving it out would not be practical. I also like it slightly harder than it is at room temperature (though significantly softer than it is at fridge temperature).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the fridge, both so it won't melt and so I always know where to find it. A friend who moved south from Michigan wondered why I kept it in the fridge; didn't take her too long to figure it out. But I would let it sit out overnight if I knew I were using some for a recipe the next day.

I leave salted butter out on the counter. I am in New England. Once or twice a year it will get too hot for a few days, and I try to remember to pop it in the frig on those days. I tend not to cook on those days anyway, since my kitchen will hold the heat from the oven all day.

Also, if it gets left too close to the window, and the sun is shining, I end up cleaning up a butter puddle.

The family uses a full stick every 2-3 days. It gets spread on bread, pasta, potatoes, etc, and I cook with a butter/oil mixture.

My family never left it out when I was growing up. I remember finding it weird and worrying about using butter left out at other people's houses. I picked up the habit of keeping it on the counter from my dh, who picked it up when living in Europe as a teenager.