Menu

Instead of ...

Peri

covering all different subjects everyday, can I just work multiple hours on one subject until we finish that book and then move onto the next subject? I am tempted to give this a try but afraid that it might backfire on me. I got the idea from our permanent hopuseguest. He will bulldoze through a subject until he completes it and then move onto the next. Do you think this would work?

It depends on the subject. You can do whatever works best for your kids, but I would be concerned if the goal was just to finish the book. I'm not sure that the BEST learning happens when you cram a ton of information on a subject into it at one time but you can be the judge of that for your son. If it works, I say, go for it.

We do this for some subjects but could not for others. I just finished Canada, My Country today and plan to start NOEO Science next week.

Truthfully, we could not do this for spelling and math. To much gets forgotten without daily review.

You could always give it a shot for a few weeks and see how it goes. I do find it easier to plan and implement. Which means it is a winner idea here for those subjets that can handle it. ;) It really boils down to finding a good subject that kids are interested in and do it until we have finished the curr..

If you mean to do say math exclusively till you finish the book and then move on to spelling...no, I don't think that will work well with younger kids. They need the repetition of coming back to something again and again as well as the change of pace from subject to subject.

I do allow my high school to block his time--he might work an entire day on physics and Spanish and the next spend the day on pre-calc. But he's 17 and at a very different stage of the learning curve.

My youngest would absolutely bounce off the walls if we didn't switch things around frequently during the day.

Like what the other posters have said, I don't know if that would be the best way to really learn skill subjects such as math and spelling. It might work for content subjects such as history and science and the like. We've changed our schedule this year so we have our skill subjects first, then a once-a-week content subject. So, we are only doing history once a week, and science once a week, that way we can focus on one thing longer which seems to be working for us.

HTH,

Amanda

I think that the daily repetition in most subjects is critical for success with younger ones. The only subjects I might be tempted to try this with is History and Science. I actually like the idea of focusing on History until it's done and then switching to Science. I struggle to find time to plan both! In these subjects I don't think the repetition is as critical as these first years are just introductions and the whet the appetite and build a foundation for future years.

That's just my opinion though!

If you're hoping to make connections, you'd be moving too fast and have too big of gaps of time between studying that particular subject. I also believe that if you move slowly, they have more time to really absorb the knowledge. If you study Lewis & Clark one week, they have time to think and ponder about the subject versus studying Lewis & Clark one day, then moving on to something else the next.

I'm not sure how much sense that all made, but hopefully you get my meaning.

We do this with some subjects, naturally. Sometimes my dc just don't want to stop, and want more information, and just an hour on the topic doesn't satisfy them. Bits and pieces every day aren't engaging enough. It never happens with workbook subjects though. Usually with history or science, and it's more like spending the day following their bunny trails than plowing through a textbook.