Menu

Have you ever decided to move around just a few books?

Familia

I simply intended to move my favorite picture books to a private room, so they would stay in better shape for the next generation.  (I love my picture books and many children as guests who, I am happy to say, like to peruse our books!), and this began a massive reorganization that was long overdue.  

My dear mother passed away two weeks ago, and I think I must be reverse nesting, because I am on an organizational frenzy!

Three bookshelves aren't shown (one with dozens of the antique volumes she has shared with me over the years, the craft books, and then the ones in the living room upstairs.  I AM NOT touching the ones in the bedrooms!  (repeat to self: I am not, I am not, I am not)

Amongst the books, I found 40 something nerf darts and counting...books and nerf bullets...signs of a happy home  :)  

But, really, what is it about books that multiply as soon as they are removed from the shelf???

post-1216-0-43300800-1464454028_thumb.jpg

post-1216-0-43300800-1464454028_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This happened to me yesterday. I was searching for a book and the next thing you know I was organizing an entire bookshelf. I had to stop myself because I need to organize all of our books, and it will take a few days. I'm not quite ready to start.

• Like 1

A few months ago I reorganized our shelves with the intention of just getting the botany books grouped together. This led to getting all our science books from every nook and cranny and organizing them by science discipline. These aren't even on shelves anymore; our science books are lined up around the perimeter of our living room (different corners of the room for each category). Ds refers to this as "the science library". Somehow after removing more than two hundred books, the book shelves are full again! I also grouped math books together and separated out the FIAR picture books.

I never got around to the history books -- maybe I should do that today!

• Like 1

Oh, it's awful.

I decided to sort out all the books on my 'read next' shelves in the bedroom, so I brought them out to sort into keep, give away, and store piles on the dining room table.  DH said he would move them all around for me.  Then he got my carefully sorted piles all mixed up, storing a bunch of give away books, and got mad and reneged.  I was worse off than before, and the sheer volume was remarkable.

But I did thoroughly clean and dust those shelves, and put a bunch of carefully selected books back onto them.  And I dumped a bunch of no longer desired books into the nearest Little Free Library, little by little.  I've noticed that people are taking them, too, which is nice to think about.  But I still have a couple of piles that need to be stored, and really nowhere to go with them.

• Like 1

Re the picture books, I decided to put our absolute favorites in a lovely storage space, and the owner was crooked and concealed that it leaked.  So I thought I was getting the best place ever, and they were all ruined.  Beautiful books I had when I was a kid, and autographed ones that DD was given.  It was awful.

Re the picture books, I decided to put our absolute favorites in a lovely storage space, and the owner was crooked and concealed that it leaked.  So I thought I was getting the best place ever, and they were all ruined.  Beautiful books I had when I was a kid, and autographed ones that DD was given.  It was awful.

Oh, I am so sorry!

Annual event here--I am in the middle of 'putting-away-the-books-from-this-school-year' an event which includes a lot of paper sorting, and dealing with broken crayons. And then completely reorganizing every shelf in every room, because the grammar books wouldn't all fit in the space allotted to them. And no matter how many shelves we add, it is the same story every year--how is that possible?

If I am very, very lucky by the time it evolves into 'oh-my-goodness, did no one put a single art or craft supply away all year long?!' I will be too exhausted to start pulling things off the closet shelves...

• Like 1

Yes, and it usually turned into a day off school, with the kids helping me clean and reorganize the shelves for most of the day.  It happened often enough that they began to complain about it when they were older.  And, yes, it meant junk food for dinner unless there were already leftovers in the fridge.  :)

• Like 1

17yodd is traveling this week. Thinking she had washed her sheets before leaving, I went to her room to put them back on the bed, but they were dirty on the floor. So I put them in the washer and decided to straighten the bookshelves while the sheets were washing. Then I saw all that sorting space (the empty bed) and instead of just rearranging the shelves, I ended up emptying them onto the bed and desk and everywhere-- piles of books all over the room. Then it occurred to me that with all the books off the shelves I should paint the bookshelves and the dresser removing all the drawers in the process. Oh, and I found a bunch of nerf bullets under the dresser, too! It's still just one hot mess in there. Dh and the kids keep telling "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" style stories about me -- "If Mom decides to put the sheets on the bed . . ." 

Edited by Jane Elliot
  • Like 3