Menu

If you have read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane . . .

SPOILER ALERT!!!! Do not read if you have not read book!!!

-

-

-

-

We were discussing this book today and trying to identify the antagonist and protagonist.  Here's the thing--I think Edward is the antagonist. He is the one that is preventing the action from moving forward. He is the one that stands in the way of him understanding, giving, and receiving love.  The question is--who is the protagonist?  The best we could come up with is Pellegrina. She seems to supernaturally be involved in all of his "adventures"--coming up in different things he sees or remembers or in phrases repeated by another character ("you disappoint me").  Help me out here. Do you agree? Or is it possible that Edward is both the protagonist and antagonist???  

I think he is both as well. If we consider the protagonist to be the main character (without applying any other labels such as "hero" to him) than definitely.

And the antagonist doesn't necessarily have to be an "opponent" of the protagonist, right?

Being as how the main conflict of Edward is the inner journey within himself, I'd say it's safe to consider him both antag and protag

• Like 2

Not every story has a clearly defined antagonist - and if "protagonist" means "good guy", then they don't all need one of those either. (If protagonist means "main character", then it should be easy to figure out which character or characters get the most screentime and, hey, they're the protagonist(s), good job!)

Not every story has a clearly defined antagonist - and if "protagonist" means "good guy", then they don't all need one of those either. (If protagonist means "main character", then it should be easy to figure out which character or characters get the most screentime and, hey, they're the protagonist(s), good job!)

I was kind of trying to apply Deconstructing Penguin's methodology which says that the protagonist pushes the action forward and the antagonist holds it back. By using this way of thinking it is easier to identify the conflict and the theme.  Does that make sense?

• Like 1

I was kind of trying to apply Deconstructing Penguin's methodology which says that the protagonist pushes the action forward and the antagonist holds it back. By using this way of thinking it is easier to identify the conflict and the theme.  Does that make sense?

Maybe, but it seems a strange rule to apply to every book out there. What does it do, for example, to Harry Potter? Or Star Wars, or really, any story where the hero starts off because the villain acted and thus wronged them?

Maybe, but it seems a strange rule to apply to every book out there. What does it do, for example, to Harry Potter? Or Star Wars, or really, any story where the hero starts off because the villain acted and thus wronged them?

That's kind of hard to address--I've never read Star Wars books.

Harry Potter--it's pretty clear from the beginning that Harry is the protagonist. He is pushing forward the idea that good can triumph over evil.  Voldemort, on the other hand, is his antagonist who is working against this by promoting and spreading evil. 

That's kind of hard to address--I've never read Star Wars books.

Harry Potter--it's pretty clear from the beginning that Harry is the protagonist. He is pushing forward the idea that good can triumph over evil.  Voldemort, on the other hand, is his antagonist who is working against this by promoting and spreading evil. 

Haven't you watched the SW movies, though?

With regards to HP, Harry isn't really "pushing forward" anything - he's just trying to live his life until Voldemort's actions force him to respond. Voldy is HIS antagonist, yes - but he's also the main driver of most of those books. Harry usually doesn't even know what's going on until the end.

You could say Harry is actively pushing forward these ideas, but only if you're bound and determined to squash an understanding of these works that doesn't really fit.