Menu

VP Self Paced History-Sale and a question

anmom

I saw that VP self paced courses are on sale right now for $100 off and I am really tempted to try this. Trying to keep and teach 5 kids together is taking way too much time. Here are my questions though...

Is it easy to combine multiple kids on the same account? I'm not as worried about the "reported grade" but I would like them all 3 to be able to take the tests and quizzes and then me see the scores. Would that be possible? 

We just finished american history I in another curriculum. I really want to start omnibus in 7th grade (I have 2 5th graders and 1 in 4th). My thought was to do Explorers to 1815 this year even though some might be redundant. Since we just did American history this year I think the redundancy would come more from the last level and not this one, and then they would be in line for Omnibus. Or would you start at Ancients and not worry about missing the others before Omnibus?

Hope that makes sense. I have a fussy baby today and am not thinking as clearly-LOL

You can't buy access to one SP course and use it for multiple students.  However, I called and asked if it would be unethical for my kids to do the program together, purchasing just one course.  I was told that we are free to repeat lessons as many times as we'd like, so each child can use the same account in that way.  Only the first score for the tests and quizzes would be recorded, though.

The years of the SP history are designed to get more difficult as they progress chronologically.  So, the Ancients program is designed for 3rd grade (I think?) and the Explorers-1815 is designed for older students.

The redundancy could be an issue.  Can you look online at the 32 events that are covered, and see how much overlap there would be?  Covering the same material from different angles two years in a row might be an awesome thing.  But if it's just a repeat, that might get boring.

Best wishes.  Sorry about the fussy baby.  :grouphug:

Can I use the courses for multiple children?

If a parent wants each child to have recorded quiz and test grades, then a course purchase is necessary for each. If a parent is not concerned about grade reports, they can have multiple children use the same course access. The tests, worksheets and responses are kept for individual students--one per registration. However, a multi-child discount is available.

In response to using the same account for multiple kids, it is listed right on their website that you can. See above post.

My question was, if you do that, can the second child still take the quiz without the score being recorded? Im not as worried about the recorded score, but would like to see how they do, if that makes sense. 

As others have said, the kids can repeat lessons/games/quizzes so each can do their own but it only keeps the last one done IIRC and it might take a bit more effort to keep them all doing the correct lesson since it automatically advances to the next thing.  The next kid would have to KNOW that a previous kid did a lesson and they need to repeat that lesson.  Or you could have them all sit together and take turns entering the data while the others "collaborate" with them.

In response to using the same account for multiple kids, it is listed right on their website that you can. See above post.

My question was, if you do that, can the second child still take the quiz without the score being recorded? Im not as worried about the recorded score, but would like to see how they do, if that makes sense. 

The second score I believe is recorded over the previous score.

• Like 1

The second score I believe is recorded over the previous score.

No.  I'm pretty sure they keep the first score and disregard any other scores that may come afterwards.

ETA:  The second child would need to write down his/her score for you; it will not automatically show you.  But you could probably teach them how to take screen shots pretty easily?!?!

Edited by domestic_engineer
  • Like 1

No.  I'm pretty sure they keep the first score and disregard any other scores that may come afterwards.

ETA:  The second child would need to write down his/her score for you; it will not automatically show you.  But you could probably teach them how to take screen shots pretty easily?!?!

Ah, maybe you are right.  Its been a while.  And yeah, for various reasons we do a lot of screen shots around here.  DD is very good at those.  OP would screen shots work?   :)

• Like 1

ByGrace3 has it exactly right-- we have done this and it worked fine. Personally at your kids ages, I would just choose what eras you and your kids are interested in and not worry about intended order. Ancients is maybe half biblical events -- my second grader did it this year and I was happy with it but since we do other Bible stuff I would probably skip it for older kids but YMMV.

• Like 1

We are a few lessons from finishing Explorers to 1815. If you did a deep dive into American History already, you will repeat a lot of material. There are 160 lessons (including a test every 5th lesson), and Raleigh settling Roanoke starts in lesson 26. We are on lesson 154, which is the War of 1812. So, a huge portion of the year is spent on American History. If I'd already done American History I, I would not repeat it with this course. If you got to Missouri Compromise in your American History I, just move on to 1815-Present Veritas course.

Edited by greyseal

We are a few lessons from finishing Explorers to 1815. If you did a deep dive into American History already, you will repeat a lot of material. There are 160 lessons (including a test every 5th lesson), and Raleigh settling Roanoke starts in lesson 26. We are on lesson 154, which is the War of 1812. So, a huge portion of the year is spent on American History. If I'd already done American History I, I would not repeat it with this course. If you got to Missouri Compromise in your American History I, just move on to 1815-Present Veritas course.

Well, we watched lesson 26 today (it is one of the free samples) and my oldest was clueless. Apparently they did not learn as much as I'd hoped!

My 3 kids just love the program and sit together sharing a computer - if (WHEN) they fuss, no history that day, and they quickly make friends for the next day.

We called and asked Veritas if that is okay, and they said yes. I don't care about grades (for history - we do in other subjects), so they just do the quizzes together.

We also have a middle school book club that meets casually to discuss the literature side-by-side books - that is well attended and lots of fun, even for kids who don't do the self-paced classes. We discuss them Adam Andrews style. :)