Menu

Need help with finding computer curriculum

Hi,

My 14 year old son is interested in learning more about computers and will eventually take the AP Computer Science course, but he will be only a freshman in the fall.

He has put together his own computer and worked through the TeenCoder Java progamming book this year.  What other computer type activities or curriculum could I offer him for freshmen year???  I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the world of programming and computer.  I can use my laptop and I am satisfied with that!!LOL

Thanks so much

pam

My son did Teen Coder Java his freshman year and after having him go through a test prep book he got a 5 on the AP exam that year, so your son might be ready for the AP sooner than you think! :)

DS has considered taking other computer electives, but other programming languages he's been able to pick up with relatively little effort in just a few online tutorials, and he already messes around with Raspberry Pi and Arduino on his own, so I'm at the point now where I'm encouraging him to take other electives outside of the computing field and just do the other tech stuff in his free time. Which is basically what he was doing already lol

I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff too, so I will interested to see what responses you get.

• Like 1

Have you seen the new AP computer course, Computer Science Principles? It looks like a wonderful introductory/overview class, good for 9th grade, I think. I was going to have DS do it through code.org. (I've emailed them to see about access to the answer key, waiting on a response.) They have other things for high school too. I was surprised because I considered it just for younger kids until I Googled for more info on the CSP class and got them as a first hit. They even have instructions for adding the syllabus to your AP Course Audit. They are an endorsed provider of this AP class.

https://code.org/educate/curriculum/high-school

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 1

How about Udacity or EdX or Coursera? I had an 8th grader take the Python Coursera class run by Rice University after he finished the one  I teach and he got 96%! So if your son can program properly already, he will be able to pick up new languages with ease and will be able to manage college level classes.

My younger son taught himself to program and I got him an AP book. The first time round he scored a 2. That was because he didn't prepare at all. A year later, still using the same book, he scored a 4. 

I agree your son might be ready to take the AP this coming year if he does know how to program already.

I do not know if they plan to repeat it but Purdue University offered a year-long computer science course online FREE to high school students this year.  DD is just about to finish it up.  Many of the students who are taking this course plan to take the AP exam.

Here's some info:

http://www.purdue.edu/purduemoves/initiatives/stem/story-CoSprogramming.html

• Like 1