Menu

Homeschool Name help, Latin

busymama7

We need a name for our homeschool so that we can order a diploma for our daughter.  When she was young, we did this whole Hogwarts Homeschool Academy thing and she really wants her diploma to say that.  I feel conflicted.  I get that it has meaning for her, but it seems unprofessional.  She is already accepted to college, so Im not sure she will ever need a HS diploma.  We are doing a formal graduation because we want to.  

Part of the name consideration is that there are 7 more to follow after her and I want to just settle on a name now.

However, we are not very creative and we are having a hard time with this.

We decided to look up words that have meaning for us in other languages, mostly latin.   We found it translated read to lego which we thought was really cool and then wanted to combine that with the latin for home since we are a reading at home family, who loves legos :)  But, we are getting stuck there as when we try to use lego it doesnt translate to read.  we need some help there from those who actually know latin (ahem...yeah didnt do much of that)

We could just use our last name, as in Wells Academy, but that doesnt really feel awesome.  We want awesome.  But yeah, this struggle is why havent had a name before now.  

I need to figure this out ASAP so I can order the diploma before we go out of town. 

I can't recall anyone ever wanting to see my diploma.  I don't even know if I still have it.   You transcript is what would be requested if anyone is verifying high school completion.   You can just use a generic 'Last Name School' on the transcript and put anything you like on the diploma.

You could always do two diplomas. I went to the alternative high school that allowed me to independent study. However, the umbrella school was "Big Name" high school. As such I have a technically worthless diploma with independent program name that means a lot to me. It looks all formal and such, but has no offical standing. Somewhere with my mother there is the offical diploma that I could care less about.

• Like 1

What's "Hogwarts" in Latin? Would that sound more impressive?

Well my good friend Google translate says it's:

Hog verrucas

French is even swankier. According to Google it's verrues de porc.

Le snort. :d

Thanks everyone. I still haven't made a decision and i leave in the am.

I am leaning towards honoring her desire and let it go. I think it is unlikely she we ever need a diploma and we could even print another if she did. She really wants to graduate from hogwarts ;)