Menu

Funny quirk when reading out loud

I've noticed that my DS has been doing something, different, when reading out loud. He will sometimes change a sentence. He can read well, and if I ask him to re-read the sentence as written, he can and will, no problem. But I'm trying to figure out if I should do anything about it? Is this really weird? 

An example: we were working on a Perplexors logic book. He was reading the scenario out loud. If the sentence actually said: The 3 dogs each liked different types of books, mystery, fiction and biographies. He might say: The 3 dogs, Tim, Tom and Tad, each preferred different types of books: spooky mysteries, funny fiction and biographies. 

So he doesn't change too much, and he clearly understands. I just am a bit perplexed, for lack of a better word. This isn't something to be concerned about right? He doesn't even pause when he does it - it's almost like he's reading a sentence ahead of what he's saying and changing the sentence to something different on the fly.

That is really fascinating!

I know that when I read aloud, my eyes are usually at least several words ahead of my mouth.  I am also able to read aloud and think about something totally unrelated.  Perhaps he is just saying what his imagination is filling in.

• Like 1

I'd ignore it for now but keep an eye on it. One day he'll have to read to get all his information for a class and if he's busy making things up as he goes, he'll fail the class.

It's probably just a phase and he's having fun. But keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

Thank you!! I was thinking it wasn't anything super worrying, but, it's different. 

What I've been doing is having him read the actual words when we're reading a book for school. We are buddy reading "How to Train Your Dragon" right now and for that book, I'm asking him to read the actual words. But for any book he's reading for fun or the perplexors example, I'm not asking him to read it exactly as written as long as he's not changing the meaning of the sentence (especially for word problems). He reads silently when he's reading to himself anyway, so I'm not sure what's going on in his head during that time! 

Thank you!

My daughter does this; I think it's great.

I don't worry about her having issues down the line because she's getting the gist (and embellishing) as opposed to changing it or flat out getting it wrong.

I teach her to narrate (SOTW, etc.) in her own words, and this seems like a natural extension of that.

Come to think of it, I do this also. She used to call me out on it when I read aloud to her. So maybe I'm biased as to its usefulness! :tongue_smilie: