Menu

standardized testing for "good student" discount

AnthemLights

My daughter just got her driver's license.  Our insurance offers a good student discount, but she has to have a certain GPA or score in the upper 20% on one of the following tests.

1. PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test)

2. PLAN (Preliminary American College Test)

3. SAT-I (Scholastic Aptitude Test-I)

4. ACT (American College Test)

5. TAP (Tests of Achievement and Proficiency)

6. ITED (Iowa Tests for Educational Development)

7. California Achievement Test, including TerraNova

We haven't done any formal testing in years.  She is 16 and just finished 11th grade.  Which one of the tests should we do? Is there any chance we could do it at home or is this something I would have to arrange through the school?  If through the school, do I even get to choose or do I just have to go with whatever the school sets up?  Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I really like this option.  At home and online.   :hurray:  My only question would be what is the TerraNova part that the insurance letter referenced?  I have been doing some quick online research and it looks like it is some newer addition that maybe isn't available.

Unless I am just misunderstanding what I have read.

Thanks, I really like this option.  At home and online.   :hurray:  My only question would be what is the TerraNova part that the insurance letter referenced?  I have been doing some quick online research and it looks like it is some newer addition that maybe isn't available.

Unless I am just misunderstanding what I have read.

Terra Nova is CAT 6..."The TerraNova 2, also known as the CAT 6, is the newest form of the California Achievement Test available for homeschool testing. It is a nationally-recognized, norm-referenced test that meets most states’ annual testing requirements. The TerraNova/CAT 6 was normed in 2005, and replaces the CAT 5. It provides a series of tests that are easy to administer, stimulating to take, and most importantly extremely accurate in their assessment of student achievement. This test is the updated CAT 5. TerraNova 2/CAT 6 tests can be purchased by homeschools, private schools (on school letterhead) and public schools (on school letterhead). NO BACHELOR’S DEGREE REQUIRED!"

I would call the insurance company and ask if CAT is good alone or if it needs to be the Terra Nova version.  The way *I* am reading it, they accept CAT results, including the Terra Nova versions.  Not that it has to be the Terra Nova version.  But, I would definitely call and ask first before she takes anything.

Terra Nova is CAT 6..."The TerraNova 2, also known as the CAT 6, is the newest form of the California Achievement Test available for homeschool testing. It is a nationally-recognized, norm-referenced test that meets most states’ annual testing requirements. The TerraNova/CAT 6 was normed in 2005, and replaces the CAT 5. It provides a series of tests that are easy to administer, stimulating to take, and most importantly extremely accurate in their assessment of student achievement. This test is the updated CAT 5. TerraNova 2/CAT 6 tests can be purchased by homeschools, private schools (on school letterhead) and public schools (on school letterhead). NO BACHELOR’S DEGREE REQUIRED!"

I would call the insurance company and ask if CAT is good alone or if it needs to be the Terra Nova version.  The way *I* am reading it, they accept CAT results, including the Terra Nova versions.  Not that it has to be the Terra Nova version.  But, I would definitely call and ask first before she takes anything.

Ok, thanks, I will call tomorrow.

It would be awesome if just the CAT was an acceptable option.

• Like 1