Menu

Math u See Geometry- for computer science and architecture major???

Hi,

I have a slew of Geometry books I will be reviewing this weekend: Jacobs 2nd and 3rd edition, Saxon, AOPS, and math u See. I have had 2 kids use math u See and one is in college Engineering. On one hand, I feel like math e see was good enough for this child (the one in college) so why am I stressing that it's not enough....? On the other hand we have just completed Jacobs Algebra and I see the difference in rigor...

My upcoming kids are looking at careers in computers and architecture or building \design, not STEM so do they need the rigors of something other than Math u See? What might be a good in between curriculm.- not as easy as Math u See but not as difficult as say AOPS?

Any thoughts or experiences??

My upcoming kids are looking at careers in computers and architecture or building \design, not STEM so do they need the rigors of something other than Math u See?

Computer science and architecture would be included under the umbrella of STEM.  My understanding from an architect friend is that architecture is a rigorous major; if any major pointed toward a rigorous geometry, that would be it IMO.

What might be a good in between curriculm.- not as easy as Math u See but not as difficult as say AOPS?

Jacobs 2d ed

Jurgensen

• Like 1

We use MUS from K through Algebra, but I didn't feel it was rigorous enough for high school.  For Geometry, we used Discovering Geometry by Michael Serra after a failed attempt at Jacob's ( and I have a degree in math!).  I think I looked at Jurgensen and it was just too busy for us.  I would put DG on the scale between MUS and Jacob's.  You may read my review in this thread:

Which Geometry is best overall? (opinions wanted)

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

We really liked Jurgensen for ds who is also planning to go into computer science.  I work in the field as well.  In my opinion, geometric proofs are an important part of developing logical, mathematical reasoning skills.  Many modern texts gloss over them or skip them entirely which is a disservice to today's young students.  Jurgensen, OTOH, masterfully weaves proofs throughout the text.  That is why many honors courses use the text today.   Wilson Hill Academy is a great place to take geometry if you go the online route.  

Computer science and architecture would be included under the umbrella of STEM.  My understanding from an architect friend is that architecture is a rigorous major; if any major pointed toward a rigorous geometry, that would be it IMO.

Jacobs 2d ed

Jurgensen

Yes. I have a degree in architecture. I was required to pass calculus, physics, geometry, computer programming, and static/dynamic structural engineering classes to complete my degree. Those are the kinds of classes we had to fit around our very time consuming design classes. An architecture student without a solid math background will really struggle.

Thanks so much for the information. We can't afford online classes other than foreign language and my son n really doesn't even want to do that online. Our schools are using some horrible curriculum so we can't do that either. I really would like a program that has teaching videos so I guess that takes out Jurgensen

I am left with Jacobs, Saxon, and AOPS and maybe Chalkdust if I could.find t used.

Thanks so much for the information. We can't afford online classes other than foreign language and my son n really doesn't even want to do that online. Our schools are using some horrible curriculum so we can't do that either. I really would like a program that has teaching videos so I guess that takes out Jurgensen

I am left with Jacobs, Saxon, and AOPS and maybe Chalkdust if I could.find t used.

Be forewarned that AoPS Geometry is known to be one of their most difficult courses/texts.  And, if he has not taken any AoPS courses yet, it may may not be a good choice or best time to jump in at this point.  That is especially the case if coming from MUS which is on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of rigor and challenge.   We went through AoPS Intro to Algebra and decided to move to something else for Geometry for a number of reasons.  That's not to say it is bad.  It's just not the best fit for everyone, dare I say most students, even if STEM inclined.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 1

We went through AoPS Intro to Algebra and decided to move to something else for Geometry for a number of reasons. That's not to say it is bad. It's just not the best fit for everyone, dare I say most students, even if STEM inclined.

Derek, would you mind elaborating on this? We are planning to start AoPS geometry soon and I'd love to hear thoughts on why it might not always be the best choice. Really, it didn't occur to me to look at anything else as DS is such an AoPS fan.

(sorry for the hijack, OP)

• Like 1

Derek, would you mind elaborating on this? We are planning to start AoPS geometry soon and I'd love to hear thoughts on why it might not always be the best choice. Really, it didn't occur to me to look at anything else as DS is such an AoPS fan.

(sorry for the hijack, OP)

I researched this quite a bit before making our decision; and we were very happy with our choice of Jurgensen through WHA.  There are many threads discussing the level of difficulty of AoPS' Geometry text.  Even on their own website, they used to state that it was the most difficult course in their series.  Here is one of many examples from Regentrude who is a university professor.  I'm sure you'll find more if you look:

"I have a PhD in theoretical physics, and some problems took me 2-3 hours....  We found it more difficult because the thinking is very different. Algebra is, in some ways, algorithmic and more linear thinking - geometry is more creative, like an art; there are no recipes to get the problem started. Sometimes it was frustrating not to have a way to begin (other than drawing a figure), whereas with most algebra problems, you can somehow get started by setting up variables and equations.  Both DD and I had trouble with the 3 d part because our spatial visualization is not that great."

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542158-aops-geometry/?p=6186711

That's not to say it would not work for your son as some seem to have liked it, even though very challenging.  Just be aware of these things which will help in making your final decision.  If he's a big fan then this might be right up his alley.  Everyone's brain processes things a bit differently.  Some actually found it easier I noticed.  But they did not seem to be the norm.

ETA:  I found a reference on their site to this in relation to their online class which follows the text:  This is the most challenging of our Introduction series of classes. https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/school/course/catalog/intro-geometry

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2

Does anyone happen to know how the Saxon Geometry text (not integrated) compares to other geometry texts?  I'd prefer Jurgensen because I'm familiar with it and know it's solid. I was very happy with the WHA online course that my boys took using Jurgensen.  I'm just not sure how my math-uninterested daughter would do with Jurgensen.

Thanks,

yvonne

• Like 1

Thanks, Derek, very helpful. Perhaps I should order the book so we can take a look at it instead of deciding blindly. ;)

I think that is a splendid idea.  Perhaps you can have him work some of the problems to get a feel for things.  Who knows, maybe he'll love it?!

At the very least, it will be an excellent resource and place to go for challenge problems.  

• Like 1