Menu

Dizzy/shaky after showers?

snickerplum

Anyone else get dizzy and shaky after taking a shower? Sometimes it's just my hands, but today it's my arms and legs as well. I had to lay down a few times because I felt faint. It happened some in college, but then stopped for a long time. Now it's back.

The shaking isn't always after a shower, it's throughout the day, just showers make it worse (or any time I get overly hot).

Am I alone here? What could it be? It's weird and bothersome.

I emailed my doctor and he's adjustment routine labs to include a few more.

Once when a family member was discharged from the hospital we were given instructions to avoid showers that were too hot and too long.  We were told that hot showers dilate blood vessels and can cause fainting because it drops blood pressure. A problem if you are weak or suffer from low blood pressure already.

• Like 4

Do you have POTS? This sounds like POTS. JodiSue's comments above are right on, too. That would impact POTS, but could be problematic even without it.

Check out potsplace.org (if it's still around) and you might ask about POTS. A true diagnosis will need a tilt table test, but you can get a good idea with blood pressure lying-standing. When you stand, stand firm on both feet, no shifting of weight. For the entire time (5 mins? I can't recall.). Doing just that had me swaying and almost falling over. Eek.

For years, mine was in check with a high salt and high fluid diet, but I need meds now. Florinef. Huge help. Salt is like first aid now.

• Like 1

Do you have POTS? This sounds like POTS. JodiSue's comments above are right on, too. That would impact POTS, but could be problematic even without it.

Check out potsplace.org (if it's still around) and you might ask about POTS. A true diagnosis will need a tilt table test, but you can get a good idea with blood pressure lying-standing. When you stand, stand firm on both feet, no shifting of weight. For the entire time (5 mins? I can't recall.). Doing just that had me swaying and almost falling over. Eek.

For years, mine was in check with a high salt and high fluid diet, but I need meds now. Florinef. Huge help. Salt is like first aid now.

Wow.  I had no idea there was a name for the weirdness I experience.  Thanks for this link!  I'm really tired of being really embarrassed from passing out at random times.

Sometimes, I crave rock salt.  I'll snack on it like candy.  I try to do it in secret. LOL.

• Like 1

Wow. I had no idea there was a name for the weirdness I experience. Thanks for this link! I'm really tired of being really embarrassed from passing out at random times.

Sometimes, I crave rock salt. I'll snack on it like candy. I try to do it in secret. LOL.

You're welcome! It was a relief for me, too. Definitely mention it to your doc because if you need meds - they really help. I haven't passed out in years now. Freedom!

And yep, I hear you on the salt cravings. On bad days, I will have some salt, drink water, and lie in the couch with my legs up in the air, on the back of the couch. It helps.

Another possible - though unlikely - culprit is Adisson's Disease. It's rare, but will cause salt cravings, fatigue, other symptoms. I do have that as well, and they are related, but most just have POTS.

I bet you instinctively do stuff to alleviate POTS, but read through that section if you haven't - things like shifting weight while standing, curling legs under you while you sit... Those help. Also, at one point my doc had me drinking water with added salt upon waking.

You're welcome! It was a relief for me, too. Definitely mention it to your doc because if you need meds - they really help. I haven't passed out in years now. Freedom!

And yep, I hear you on the salt cravings. On bad days, I will have some salt, drink water, and lie in the couch with my legs up in the air, on the back of the couch. It helps.

Another possible - though unlikely - culprit is Adisson's Disease. It's rare, but will cause salt cravings, fatigue, other symptoms. I do have that as well, and they are related, but most just have POTS.

I bet you instinctively do stuff to alleviate POTS, but read through that section if you haven't - things like shifting weight while standing, curling legs under you while you sit... Those help. Also, at one point my doc had me drinking water with added salt upon waking.

We are twinsies!

Funny you mention Adisson's.  I've long suspected I have it.  My doc has suspected Lupus, Scleroderma, and a few others, but nothing that really seems to 'fit' what I experience in daily life.  Especially since I have times when I am 100% fine.  Totally healthy, able to hike 14k mountains or mountain bike.  Then, I have times when it's very challenging to go for a 30 minute walk around my flat neighborhood with paved roads.

I do instinctively do things to alleviate POTS.  That is fascinating!  I sit and sleep all curled up.  I shift weight when I'm standing so I don't pass out. 

I was at the podiatrist recently, and he reclined my chair to work on my toe.  I passed out...he kept saying, "That's ok.  A lot of people have a bad reaction to getting a numbing shot."   I kept saying, "It's not the shot.  I don't pass out from shots."  But I didn't know why I did pass out.  I just know I've had plenty of shots that didn't cause me to pass out.  I was drenched in sweat when I stood up to leave.  It's embarrassing. 

As I read that website, I am amazed. Amazed.  It's like they are writing about me.

• Like 1

Yup, I learned about POTS here. I don't actually have the issue on standing, but lots of walking, or lots of sitting with legs dangling, yes. I get foggy, etc. Gets worse with pregnancy...my first symptom with my last was the dizzy spells. I also instinctively do things like sit cross legged in a chair, lean on the shopping cart so I'm bent, etc. 

After a big day out with lots of adrenaline or walking I'm a basket case for 12-24 hours. Heat makes it worse. Stress makes it worse, like the dentist, for instance. Oddly, I was getting light headed last time and she gave me more numbing and the epinephrine in it got my heart rate back up and I actually felt better. Caffeine and sugar in a cold drink helps when it is bad, like an icy cold Coke. 

I also salt everything, and so does my mom...we salt our salt, lol. 

Edited by ktgrok

Thank you for the POTS thought. I've spent a good bit of time looking into it today and a LOT of it hits home. Can I just bring this up to my doctor? He's more of a integrative doctor, one of those pay out of the pocket guys. Do I just say, hey - what about POTS?

• Like 2

Thank you for the POTS thought. I've spent a good bit of time looking into it today and a LOT of it hits home. Can I just bring this up to my doctor? He's more of a integrative doctor, one of those pay out of the pocket guys. Do I just say, hey - what about POTS?

Definitely. I was diagnosed by an integrative meds doc. :)

• Like 1

I have food allergies, the allergies are heat activated. I feel that way if I shower too soon after eating and turn the heat up too high. I know I will feel a bit bad after but can never take a lukewarm shower if I can't time my shower well, I always just turn the heat up anyway, who wants a lukewarm shower.

When we lived in Texas, I had to purchase an ice vest and wear a cooling scarf. I just made my own from a cotton bandana and ice cubes.

I am allergic to so many foods now that I have to eat things I am mildly allergic to, when it was just a few foods it only happened when I ate something I was allergic to.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1