Menu

Chia seeds?

MamaBearTeacher

Don't eat them raw, ever!  They could get stuck in your throat and literally choke you to death.  Soak them in something yummy for about half an hour.  Stir a spoonful or two in a coffee cup of milk or almond milk with some sweetener (and cocoa powder if you like chocolate).  Set a timer for ten minutes and stir again.  Leave it to sit for at least another 20 minutes until the fluid is absorbed and you have a sort of pudding.  Eat.

But honestly if I was having a problem with consitipation I would turn to colace or peri-colace, the nurse's old standby.

Ok, I eat them raw/dryish every day. The only trouble I've had is they get stuck in my teeth. I sprinkle them on plain yogurt or oatmeal and eat immediately.

If you want to eat a large quantity, there are a ton of chia pudding recipes, but just a tablespoon works fine sprinkled on about anything.

Thanks for posting that.  We don't use chia seeds too often (mostly in a cookie recipe) but I did not know about the need to soak them first.  (I know they are often soaked, but didn't know it was dangerous to eat without soaking!)

For constipation I use Dextrin fiber supplement (brand name Benefiber but often available in a store brand much cheaper).