Menu

High School English Question

Veteran homeschool parents, can you guide me here? I'm planning 9th grade English for next year--vocabulary...grammar review with concentration on trouble spots... literature... and, of course, writing.

I think I've narrowed things down to Wordly Wise and Easy Grammar for the first two areas. But now I'm stuck on lit. We've focused heavily on novels for the last few years. Next year, I think we need to branch out and focus on different genres of lit as well as introduce some world literature selections. If you've done something similar, what did you use? I'm really tempted to go with a textbook anthology because the poetry, short story, etc. selections would be made for me. Then I could just add some novels that I think will be worthwhile. Is that a bad idea? Am I overlooking something better?

ETA: I've spent hours over the last few days reviewing other threads on WTM and looking at curriculum websites. I'm afraid that right now my brain is on overload and I'm really not sure which way to go.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler

I always preferred making my own literature selections. Half the fun. But YMMV

I hear you. I think lack of confidence and fear of missing something important are the issues for me. I do have a list of genre-specific resources people mentioned in other threads. I should probably get those and winnow down from there. I don't have a problem choosing novels. It's the other stuff that's the problem. I wish I found it fun as you do. I just end up a big ball of stress. But I do appreciate your perspective.

I just wrapped up a year teaching Windows to the World at our co-op, and my two young sons were in it.  I used the Jill Pike syllabus.  The materials are sold by IEW.  It is noted to have Christian content so you may not be interested if you are not Christian.

The program teaches literature analysis and includes many short stories and several novels.   The writing is simple and formulaic, which many students will appreciate.  If you have a natural writer, it might be overkill, but I think even natural writers can benefit from learning the "formula".  I only recall one poem being discussed so you may want to add poetry.  

I had students with a variety of range of abilities/ages, and they all did well with the instruction/program.  It can easily be used at home with one child.

• Like 1

I cobbled together various resources for this: my old college poetry textbook (Western Wind), essays found online, in anthologies, and even in the Wall Street Journal, travel essays from library books, nature essays from a Norton Anthology. 

It's good to get a variety but remember you can't teach all the writings.  I was a college-track high-schooler and an English major, but I was never required to read any Dickens, Austen, or non-Western lit throughout my entire academic career.  Very little poetry and if I could recall one bit of nonfiction from an English class, I'd tell you about it, but I can't.

I see you are not sure of doing it this way, and that's fine!  I'm just posting to show where I found stuff for my kids to read and write about.

My kids' dual enrollment CC English 101 (freshman comp) class used a book called Acting Out Culture which had a lot of interesting essays in it. 

I'm more of a do-it-yourself person with course development, but I've really found the Norton Anthology of World Literature (formerly called Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces) a great resource.  As I was doing it myself, I found that I was doing so much like their anthology that I switched along the way.  They have brief introductions to each author and then into the literature selection.  There's a range of cultures represented.  They carefully abridge when they do, and if you want to go with the full-length version, you can switch out as you go.  There are many editions, and they often split into two volumes, such as this one.  We're going through a 3-4 year world lit schedule similar to the WTM, but I really like these as a base to start from.

We're planning to use Lightning Literature & Composition next year. There are different sets available. You can take a look here: https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com They recommend certain ones for those entering highs school/new to Lightning Lit. We're starting with Speech and American Lit. (not at the same time).

Sorry. Seem to be having trouble with the link. https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Senior/sLightning.aspx

Edited by EppieJ

Veteran homeschool parents, can you guide me here? I'm planning 9th grade English for next year--vocabulary...grammar review with concentration on trouble spots... literature... and, of course, writing.

I think I've narrowed things down to Wordly Wise and Easy Grammar for the first two areas. But now I'm stuck on lit. We've focused heavily on novels for the last few years. Next year, I think we need to branch out and focus on different genres of lit as well as introduce some world literature selections. If you've done something similar, what did you use? I'm really tempted to go with a textbook anthology because the poetry, short story, etc. selections would be made for me. Then I could just add some novels that I think will be worthwhile. Is that a bad idea? Am I overlooking something better?

ETA: I've spent hours over the last few days reviewing other threads on WTM and looking at curriculum websites. I'm afraid that right now my brain is on overload and I'm really not sure which way to go.

Actually, although I like Wordly Wise overall, if you choose a literature anthology (which is probably what I would do, BTW), there will be vocabulary there.

Andif  I went with a literature anthology (which I probably would), I would not feel compelled to require any additional novels. There will be at least one novel in it, plus all the other genres.