Menu

Apologia Science just read most colleges do not except it-is this true

It is nonsense. College do not typically know what curriculum you used. NCAA is an exception.

But then, there are plenty of alternatives; you don't *have* to use it. We used secular intro college textbooks for non majors which were the perfect level.

• Like 4

We used Apologia and an intro college text for physics (College Physics by Knight & Jones) and Apologia for chemistry.  For biology we used Miller & Levine with a course plan from Kolbe Academy (including tests) [i won't use Apologia for Biology.]  He also took Chemistry dual enrollment at the community college.  So I guess he presented a mix of Apologia and other sources.

DS was accepted into computer science programs at Purdue, Virginia Tech, Worcester PI and Miami University (Ohio).  He also earned a Navy ROTC scholarship.  No one asked for any information beyond the course descriptions I provided and test scores.  

• Like 4

Thank you everyone for sharing, we will be starting 9th grade in July...need to come up with a solid science plan. DS is 13 and we used DIVE Biology this year with the DIVE and Apologia readings.

• Like 1

If so what do you use?

TIA

Do you live in California?  California has a relationship between the state university systems and high schools that is more closely connected than other places we've lived.  I've not seen state university requirements drive high school curriculum in quite the way that the a-g requirements dictate what is done in CA high schools.

There was a case several years back where a CA university would not accept certain high school curriculum as meeting their admissions requirements.  If I recall correctly, this was not specifically about homeschools, but was about private schools using certain curriculum.  Most independent homeschoolers in CA probably are applying for Admission by Exam, not by meeting a-g requirements.  There are homeschoolers who are accepted to UC and CSU schools.

This may be a case where one specific instance from years back has been taken as a blanket statement of acceptability.

• Like 3

Not true. The only colleges I have ever heard of not accepting it are the State U's in Calif. That is not "most". 

ETA what I used: Apologia Chemistry & Anatomy, BJU Chemistry, Prentice Hall (Physical Science and Biology)

DIVE for ICP, Biology and Chem for 1 child with PH and BJU Chem. I don't recommend Apologia with DIVE. It doesn't match up well at all.

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 1

I know it is not A-G approved but that won't stop me if I want to use it. Some of the science curriculum ( online courses) I have looked at, that have been so called A-g approved looks awful. Really makes me realize what a good education my kiddo will get compared to that! :/

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 3

Do you live in California? California has a relationship between the state university systems and high schools that is more closely connected than other places we've lived. I've not seen state university requirements drive high school curriculum in quite the way that the a-g requirements dictate what is done in CA high schools.

There was a case several years back where a CA university would not accept certain high school curriculum as meeting their admissions requirements. If I recall correctly, this was not specifically about homeschools, but was about private schools using certain curriculum. Most independent homeschoolers in CA probably are applying for Admission by Exam, not by meeting a-g requirements. There are homeschoolers who are accepted to UC and CSU schools.

This may be a case where one specific instance from years back has been taken as a blanket statement of acceptability.

Thank you - no we live in MO 😃

Edited by Lisa52

I know it is not A-G approved but that won't stop me if I want to use it. Some of the science curriculum ( online courses) I have looked at, that have been so called A-g approved looks awful. Really makes me realize what a good education my kiddo will get compared to that! :/

Please tell me A-G approved means and how do I find out if a course is or is not approved? Thank you