Menu

Latin Recommendations for a 10 and 12yo

I would begin with Getting Started With Latin as a gentle intro. (GSWL)

$10 on Kindle. Inexpensive printed too. 

Then do some research here to see what  might suit your students best. 

What is your goal with Latin?

You would likely choose differently if this is to be their primary language study than if it is a supplement for a couple years to enrich vocabulary and grammar. 

Are you going to learn along with them or are you looking for something they can do independently? 

Do you want to get them started, then move to live, online instruction?

We did GSWL and SSL then moved into CAP Latin for Children A & B. It comes easily to Dd and she will be doing Latin Alive next year. I find CAP materials more interesting and less dry than MP curricula and better targeted for success on the NLE and AP. MP is very thorough and incremental; I just find it dull.

I had Latin in school and am comfortable teaching the intro levels. Dd will probably move to online instruction in a year or two, when I can no longer teach from a pint of mastery beyond where she is. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Love all things Memoria Press.  With those ages you could do Latina Christiana or just go right to First Form, your call.  With my kids, I did LC at an earlier age, so they were in FF by 10, but i have had a lot of homeschool students of those ages or higher start in my LC class.

• Like 1

For gentle intro and a focus on vocabulary and derivatives, of the MP programs, I would go with LC.  That is why a lot of older kids take it with me.  They aren't necessarily going to all study latin for their FL, but this program is great for everyone. I don't know if LC has videos? all of the other MP programs do, so they probably do. I love the FF videos.  Our co-op kids all loved the guy on them.  They were sad to get another man in Third Form. :)

I'm going to be using Latin for Children from CAP with my 11-year-old. I like that it has DVDs.

The other option would be the programs from Memoria Press.

I used Song School Latin 1 and 2 this year with my daughter (4th grade). It was a good gentle intro and now we feel ready for LfC.

MP Latina Christiana definitely has DVD's to go with it, along with a CD, and flash cards.  If you want an even lighter approach to see how it goes, try MP's Prima Latina (this is what they use before Latina Christiana).

At this point, my goal is to enrich vocabulary and grammar. However, if they want to continue to learn it more in depth, then we will go that direction. I will learn along side them:) I am thinking I will need a dvd program of some sort!

I would start with GSWL. You can go many different directions after that, but you're pretty solid with GSWL.