Menu

Internship :)

The boy-o had an application process and an interview through the CC for an internship for local high school students.  He thought it went fairly well. He was told today he got the spot for this summer - a ninety hour internship at a architecture home design company.   I think he'll be a little disappointed.  His first choice was a civil engineering spot and this was his second choice.  But as his mama? Frankly I'm thrilled.  I don't know how stiff the competition was but so glad he'll get to get his feet wet.  (Plus, I honestly think he'd like architecture better than civil engineering but that's just me thinking again.) :P ;)

• Like 10

Mom is (nearly) always right.  It's a rare internship program for high school students that isn't competitive.  Your son deserves hearty congratulations!  Civil engineering and architecture are practically next door neighbors, right?  

• Like 1

Congratulations! I hope he has a really positive experience.

My dd just started her internship last week. She loves it so far (and I wish I could have done the same placement back in my day). She's at an agriculture museum helping to look after all the farm animals (dairy cows and calves, sheep, goats, horses, beef cows, pigs and poultry). She's in heaven so far. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Civil engineering and architecture are practically next door neighbors, right?

There was an aptitude test for freehand drawing to apply to the school of architecture in my alma mater while school of engineering didn't have the drawing test for those who pick civil engineering.

There are usually a lot more civil engineers on site than architect.

Besides construction, my civil engineering degree coursework covers environmental engineering (pollution, wastewater management...), traffic engineering (public transport, highways, traffic lights, street closures...).

Today I was chatting about algae bloom with a marine science masters student and she was surprised I covered that in undergrad studies in civil engineering.

Civil engineering is a lot more heavy on math, physics and chemistry than architecture for my alma mater. It is also a lot lighter on drawing with very little freehand and mostly on computer graphics design (CAD/CAM).

• Like 2

There was an aptitude test for freehand drawing to apply to the school of architecture in my alma mater while school of engineering didn't have the drawing test for those who pick civil engineering.

There are usually a lot more civil engineers on site than architect.

Besides construction, my civil engineering degree coursework covers environmental engineering (pollution, wastewater management...), traffic engineering (public transport, highways, traffic lights, street closures...).

Today I was chatting about algae bloom with a marine science masters student and she was surprised I covered that in undergrad studies in civil engineering.

Civil engineering is a lot more heavy on math, physics and chemistry than architecture for my alma mater. It is also a lot lighter on drawing with very little freehand and mostly on computer graphics design (CAD/CAM).

Thank you for this - then I suspect DS is dead on and I'm the one off...

We thought it odd that he ended up with the internship with the group that did architecture and housing design.  I went back and re-read the email and it specifically says civil engineering internship.  The only thing we've come up with so far is that they often design entire housing developments so perhaps he'll be working on that end of it.  We'll see.  We should expect the detailed packet this week. :)

• Like 1

Its not unusual for an architecture firm to have a civil engineering department.  For housing developments, civil engineers would most likely be designing the road/building layout, grading of the site (including any retaining walls, if necessary), storm water management (inlets, pipes, basins, etc.), and helping out with any of the necessary building permits.  Sounds like a great opportunity for a high school student!!