Menu

Should I sell off books between kids?

Janeway

I have a six year age gap between my younger older child and older younger child. I can see new publishers coming out with things as well as new editions of things I already have coming out. I have saved my favorite things, but now I wonder if I should start selling things off while they are still current? At least one science book I have has a new one being released. What do you think? 

I don't. I am past the "it's shiny, must buy it now" phase of homeschooling.  I hand down what I can between kids, in part because I'm familiar with the materials and I like it.  I'd ditch whatever doesn't fit your personality, but the stuff that you like, keep it.  The amount that I can get from selling stuff is nowhere near replacement value for new stuff, and with inflation over time, you can only expect print materials to go higher.

Case in point: Singapore Math Primary series....the textbooks and workbooks used to be $4.75 each.  I still have them with that price sticker on. (We only write in the workbooks.)  When I went to buy workbooks for next year, I paid $13.20 each for them.  Granted, it's been ten years, but I can point to a number of things that have increased in price in a similar manner.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation, but another question to ask yourself is if you think you'll still be happy with using it on your youngest ... or will you want an upgrade/switch?  If you're going to keep it through the 6 year gap, then I assume you'd try to use it for all of your younger children.  If I thought of your decision in that light, then I'd vote for "sell now while you still have demand for the product and rebuy when needed."

If they are favorites, I'd hang on to them. I've kept all 3 :blushing:  of my favorite math curricula. Singapore is working well for both my younger two, and I'm glad I've kept them. I have hundreds of dollars of math books on my shelf, and I don't want to pay for those again. But math doesn't really go out of date.

In other subjects (writing and science), I've never found anything I really like and there is a lot of new stuff coming out all the time. I've sold a lot of writing and science curricula that didn't work for me. It was tempting to hold on to it "just in case", but if I hated it with one kid, there's no reason to think I will be able to implement it well with another kid, even if her personality is totally different from her brother's. I'm holding out hope that I will one day find something that I love or that I'll figure out how to just teach writing on my own. 

This is such a personal question. In my case, I would hang on to the favorites and possibly purge the not-so-favorites. Especially get rid of the things you know you don't like using.

I don't. I am past the "it's shiny, must buy it now" phase of homeschooling.  I hand down what I can between kids, in part because I'm familiar with the materials and I like it.  I'd ditch whatever doesn't fit your personality, but the stuff that you like, keep it.  The amount that I can get from selling stuff is nowhere near replacement value for new stuff, and with inflation over time, you can only expect print materials to go higher.

Case in point: Singapore Math Primary series....the textbooks and workbooks used to be $4.75 each.  I still have them with that price sticker on. (We only write in the workbooks.)  When I went to buy workbooks for next year, I paid $13.20 each for them.  Granted, it's been ten years, but I can point to a number of things that have increased in price in a similar manner.

I feel the same way about "new and shiny" curricula now. I'm fine now with older editions (if it's non-consumable). I have bought older editions of Artistic Pursuits for half price of a newer edition volume. Sure, I won't get what I paid for it when I go to sell it, but if I buy the newer edition who is to say that they won't make ANOTHER edition before I sell it? I keep things that are practical and simple to use. I ditch anything that has lots of pieces or is overly complicated. I don't quite have the age gap between dd2 and dd3 like you do but I would still hold on to the favorites.

• Like 2

I hate the whole process of selling curriculum, so I keep most of it, even if I know I'll probably never use it. :lol:

In reality, most I haven't reused, because either I get bored of what I use to begin with or I find something I like better. That said, I'm finally reusing Singapore that I used with my oldest. Just switched my younger kids to it, since CLE was starting to drag for both of them (particularly my 3rd grader). I guess I also reused the early CLE Math levels, since I used them with two kids. Thinking to the future with my youngest... who knows what I'll reuse. I don't know at all what kind of student she'll be (she's not even talking yet!). I don't know if I'll be sick of the materials by that point. There might be something I really like so much better at that time. So yeah, not locking myself into one curriculum for the future.

Now if money is tight from year to year and you really need the money from selling curriculum, by all means, sell it! If you need it again, buy it used.

All that said, I should really start selling some of my stuff... I have several things I know I'll never use. :p

I only have a 4 year gap between each of my 3 youngest, so not quite as big of a gap as you. But I only sell stuff that *I* didn't like, because I know I won't want to pull that out again. I just really like having stuff on the shelves to choose from. ;)

I don't have any gaps- counting my after schoolers I've got every grade covered up to 3. But the things I consider when selling vs keeping.

Do I LOVE this just as it is? Or would I be very interested in an improvement (curriculum switch or newer release)?

Does this program have new releases often? How do old ones sell?

Is this a subject I tend to curriculum hop in (either child to child or year to year?) or is it one I tend to use over and over again? Math is a hooper for me, SOTW definitely not.

How many years break will it be till its used again?

How much storage space do I have?

What did I pay for it and how much will it resell for?

Will I be angry if I end up repurchasing?

• Like 1