Menu

Science of cooking?

Are there any materials out there at a kid's level (upper elementary, maybe?) as far as understanding the science of cooking/baking?  My kids are asking questions about why we add the different ingredients and how they can make their own recipes (and why they never seem to work).  I'm not sure if there's a chemistry resource that directly addresses this or if I have to try to find my own thing.  What I'm seeing when I search is either basic experiments (baking soda & vinegar-type) or complex tomes intended for adults.  I'm hoping the hive can help save me some legwork here.  TIA!

Thames and Kosmos has a kit called Candy Chemistry. I didn't buy the kit, as the manual was available to download for free and I had nearly everything contained in the kit. It took a bit of pointing from me ("huh, this recipe is so similar to that one, why should it have any different result?") but it did have some great examples of using a few basic ingredients to create entirely different candies. It certainly isn't healthy, or a great choice if you need to lose weight, but we used the same basic ingredients to make everything from caramels to marshmallows to hard candies, seeing how small additions and temperature made huge differences.

• Like 1

The American Chemical Society put out a cookbook that goes through the chemistry. It also has lots of links to things like the Steve Spangler science of cooking, the tv show Good Eats with Alton Brown (food science) and more.

Here is the link with lots of great resources. This is something I got for fun, but ended up doing quite a bit more with my kiddo than intended because it is just fun! We are chemists, and I learned a lot:)

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/students/highschool/chemistryclubs/activities/food-and-chemistry.html

• Like 2

You might also check out The Science of Cooking by Peter Barham. My husband is a scientist and I got him this a few years ago (I think I got it for him at least). It is written in british but it seems to go through the why very well. I wouldn't call it for children, but it should help you understand so you can explain it to your child. 

• Like 2