Menu

Rec. a great flat iron?

Alicia64

I've been putting off buying one, but my haircut would look a lot better if I used one. Can you recommend a flat iron that you like?

Hoping the price isn't too high.

I had one long ago that did a really "iffy" job. I finally tossed it in the name of clutter b/c I wasn't using it. Now I wish I'd kept it. (Iffy is better than nothing.)

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Alley

We have this one. It gets really hot (but is adjustable) and does a great job on DD's hair and mine. DD has hair that looks like Diana Ross', if you remember her. Very kinky and coarse and down to her waist. I use it to straighten hers and keep it manageable. It makes it straight and silky feeling. Mine is straight and fine, but I use it to bump the ends under. It does both things really well. We have had it a couple years now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-S5520-Anti-Static-Digital-Ceramic-1.75-Flat-Iron/14978529

We have this one. It gets really hot (but is adjustable) and does a great job on DD's hair and mine. DD has hair that looks like Diana Ross', if you remember her. Very kinky and coarse and down to her waist. I use it to straighten hers and keep it manageable. It makes it straight and silky feeling. Mine is straight and fine, but I use it to bump the ends under. It does both things really well. We have had it a couple years now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-S5520-Anti-Static-Digital-Ceramic-1.75-Flat-Iron/14978529

Thanks VAKim! Haha, if I remember her! I wen to three Diana Ross concerts back in the day. Love her! Your daughter must have awesome hair!!

Thank you for this flat iron suggestgion -- I didn't want to spend a fortune.

Btw, where are you in VA. We moved out of RVA and I sure miss it!!! :(

Thanks again,

Alley

Thanks VAKim! Haha, if I remember her! I wen to three Diana Ross concerts back in the day. Love her! Your daughter must have awesome hair!!

Thank you for this flat iron suggestgion -- I didn't want to spend a fortune.

Btw, where are you in VA. We moved out of RVA and I sure miss it!!! :(

Thanks again,

Alley

Lol. You are very welcome. Yes, she does have awesome hair. She keeps it in a long braid because she doesn't want to fool with it. I would have given anything to have her hair when I was young.

We live in western VA, just about 60 miles northwest of Roanoke. I love our mountains best!

Lol. You are very welcome. Yes, she does have awesome hair. She keeps it in a long braid because she doesn't want to fool with it. I would have given anything to have her hair when I was young.

We live in western VA, just about 60 miles northwest of Roanoke. I love our mountains best!

We live in an Atlanta suburb and it's lovely, but -- ugh!!! -- my heart will forever be in VA. Even NC would have been fine.

Thanks again!

Alley

• Like 1

You will have to pay $100+ depending on what quality you are seeking. For example, most cheaper irons are ceramic coated. Just coated. I once owned an iron with 100% ceramic plates, but it didn't work on my hair! I sent it back. It was actually a free upgrade from what I had originally ordered and I told them thanks, but no thanks. I went with titanium instead. I got the Babyliss. But I have heard that of the different types, I think tourmaline is supposed to get the hottest. Don't ask me if the materials in these irons cause cancer or something, though.

Basically the type of hair you have will determine what you need. I own a Wet2Straight affordable one from Target or somewhere, but it's not of the same quality as my Babyliss. I'm pretty sure dh has complained he thought my hair smelled like it was burning when I used both irons, if not just the Wet2Straight. I have super thick hair and use irons with very high settings. If an iron won't go up to a very high temp, I won't bother. A hair dresser even told me I could use the highest setting.

Also ask yourself how often you plan to use it. And consider what size plates you want. Thicker ones get the job done faster, but you have less control over tiny sections like around the face.

I have an awkward grip, I'm "double jointed" or whatever in my hand, so it's really hard for me to find one that doesn't cramp up my hand while using it. You may want to consider ergonomics or weight of the iron.

The one I have from Walmart gets to 410, and very quickly. That is plenty hot for my DD's hair, which is pretty much like black hair. I can't imagine needing anything any hotter. 

Well with the tourmaline it might not literally have a higher temp setting but I think it's supposed to heat more quickly and evenly than others?? The one I had from Sally's didn't work very well but I don't think the max got into the 400s. Yeah, 410 is probably hot enough for most people. Mine goes to 450. My "It&ly" brand was okay and I can't remember what the max was. It went to 410 for sure. I just looked up the Wet2Straight and one description said it is a "ceramic-tourmaline" lol whatever that means. This lady's review says it goes to 420, but I don't know if there's more than one version of it. I haven't used mine in some time, but that sounds right. I'm part Mexican and inherited my hair from that side of the family. It can take a while to dry and straighten my hair so I don't do it very often.

• Like 1

I too have the one posted above and it has worked fine for my hair. The girl that cuts my hair had an expensive one and it took twice as long to do what mine does, so $ isn't always better.