Menu

Looking for review of "The Elements" chemistry

elegantlion

We are trying to do chemistry this year. I've 2nd guessed, 3rd guessed, and now am on 4th guess of which book to use.

So now I am looking at "The Elements" .

I would be interested in hearing from those who have used this curriculum. I tried search, but couldn't find what I needed. TIA.

(who also thinks this might work with my covert plan to put ds in charge of kitchen duties when he turns 13) :D

We loved using The Elements and I posted several times on my blog about our experiences using it. Here is one where we make the periodic table pillowcases

It is simply an outstanding multi-facted approach to learning the fundamentals of chemistry in our experience. I found it perfectly suited to our ten and twelve year old at the time (suitable for up to grade 8). We are currently using her Carbon Chemistry (suitable for up to grade 9).

We're only on chapter 3, but we're really enjoying it so far! My kids love the games, and the text is well written and easy to understand. I add in experiments from other sources (though there are some included) and some other reading, and we'll probably stretch it through the whole year that way.

We loved using The Elements and I posted several times on my blog about our experiences using it. Here is one where we make the periodic table pillowcases

It is simply an outstanding multi-facted approach to learning the fundamentals of chemistry in our experience. I found it perfectly suited to our ten and twelve year old at the time (suitable for up to grade 8). We are currently using her Carbon Chemistry (suitable for up to grade 9).

Ah, thank you! I remember seeing those pillowcases. I love to hear outstanding in a review.

We're only on chapter 3, but we're really enjoying it so far! My kids love the games, and the text is well written and easy to understand. I add in experiments from other sources (though there are some included) and some other reading, and we'll probably stretch it through the whole year that way.

It is great to know it can easily stretch into the entire year. We have some experiment books and readings, we could certainly fill in with those. Thanks.

We used The Elements first semester last year and it was a great program for us -- clear, enjoyable, memorable! I thought I had done a review on my blog, but it was more of just a "thumbs up" and list of cool chemistry links I found along the way.

I see your NaNo icon! Must go get one for myself! Oh, and order a t-shirt for my dd -- her birthday is this month and I got her a NaNo shirt last year, it is still her favorite!

Well, this looks great! It looks like she's expanding her chemistry offerings. Her original book, Elements intro to chemistry, is available at RRC. It includes some games and a CD of songs, etc. It looks like from the chapter download that this is the same book, with perhaps more games and things added in. She also has out a follow-up book that RRC carries, covering organic chemistry.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend not to ever use any program alone, and like to fill in with extra reading, but I do think you could use the program alone.

There are 7 chapters in the book:

What is an Element?

More About Atoms

The Periodic Table

How Atoms Stick Together

The Noble Gases, Alkali Metals, and Halogens

The Alkali Earth Metals, Transition Metals, and True Metals

The Nonmetals

There's also a review/test that's three pages long at the end of the book.

There are eight activities in chapter one;

four in chapter two;

eight in chapter three;

four in chapter four;

eight in chapter five;

eight in chapter six;

and five in chapter seven.

Some of these are more involved and take longer than others.

I think there's plenty of material to do science two days per week from just this alone, especially if you review key concepts as you go. I think you could easily spend one month on each topic covered here, including more reading on topic and playing the games, etc. to cement learning of the concepts.

As I mentioned, there are some games included in the kit, as well as songs to help them remember key concepts, and those can be reviewed, replayed, throughout the year. There are suggestions for creating "chem cards" of the elements, also - a sort of trading card concept to help them incorporate the info on the elements.

I think you could add in experiments from the Mebane books, or Van Cleave, etc. that cover these topics and help fill them out, as well.

I'm interested in this program also. Thanks for the reviews and information. We'll be using this one in 5th grade along with Exploring the World of Chemistry by Tiner, nature studies, other living books and BSFU 3-5 (not out yet).

I used Tiner's book with my older son, too. It's more a history of science type of book and I think it compliments Elements well. The author of Elements, McHenry, also has out a second book that covers organic chemistry for kids. It looks great (I think)! I say that because I ordered it and sent it around a group I was in for others to look at it before I ever got to use it -- and it disappeared! I have to order it again.....

I used Tiner's book with my older son, too. It's more a history of science type of book and I think it compliments Elements well. The author of Elements, McHenry, also has out a second book that covers organic chemistry for kids. It looks great (I think)! I say that because I ordered it and sent it around a group I was in for others to look at it before I ever got to use it -- and it disappeared! I have to order it again.....

UGH! how frustrating.

I did order "The Elements" and we are in the middle of week 1. We are using Tiner's book as well. DS has enjoyed the lessons so far, he smiles, and really loved looking over food labels today.

We are in Chapter 5, and my ds (age 10) and I are enjoying The Elements very much. I have no knowledge about chemistry, and I'm having no trouble teaching (except for getting a little muddled when we first started on electron clouds). I divided the program into 30 lessons, each of which lasts between 30-45 minutes. (not counting more time consuming crafts like marshmallow ionic compounds), but you could definitely get more lessons out of it, especially if you did all the games.

Thank you everyone! So much fabulous help. I've decided this is a definite and I have added the Tiner book to my list too.

Now I have one more question. This curriculum is planned for both younger DS and older DS. Older DS should have had some more in depth Chem by now but he has not (only been out of school 1 year) I'd love some suggestions to extend this out further for him.

I'm not toooo worried about taking him right up to the sort of top highschool level Chem because College works a little differently here and there is a good Intro Chem course that he can do to fill in any gaps but I'd like to stretch him a little.

Is Tiner's book religous? I am looking for a secular presentation. I think I remember this being discussed here before, but I can't remember the answer. Also, where can Tiner's book be purchased?

I used Tiner's book with my older son, too. It's more a history of science type of book and I think it compliments Elements well.

Is Tiner's book religous? I am looking for a secular presentation. I think I remember this being discussed here before, but I can't remember the answer. Also, where can Tiner's book be purchased?

It is Christian based. I'm only on week 3 so I'm not sure how easy it would be to secularize. It is available through amazon.

Edited by elegantlion

We love it, but seems like it is for younger kids than the age stated.

OK now that's interesting. What aged kids do you feel it's best for? I've had that with R.E.A.L Science and it made the program unworkable for me.

Any other comments on that? What ages is everyone using it with?

It's been a long time, so I don't remember exactly what references were made, but it obviously wasn't way over the top or I never would have used it. It's mostly a history of science type book. It mostly discusses the different scientists and their discoveries. So it's more mini-biographies.

I'll tell you what I bought from Oxford publishing that I like and will be using starting next year with younger ds. I already used it with my older son. It's a set of books entitled Makers of Science. There are five books in the set. They are about the size of the Eyewitness books. I got them on sale years ago, so don't recall what I paid for them.

They include brief bios of major scientists through the ages, including a timeline of their life's work set against the political and cultural happenings of their time. It is completely secular. It does not include the little multiple choice tests at chapter's end that Tiner's books include, but you could make up your own tests if you wanted that.

Also, I have a book called Great Lives: Invention and Technology, which includes tons of famous inventors of the early modern and modern eras. Also in this series is a volume covering nature and the environment, and one on medicine, which both should include other scientists' bios.

What aged kids do you feel it's best for?

Any other comments on that? What ages is everyone using it with?

My 8 year old (3rd-4th grade) is using it. He is pretty advanced, but I can't imagine using it for higher than 6th grade, unless you are using it as a fun addition to another program. But, maybe my view of the world is a little skewed by having such a bright first born. :blushing: