Menu

List of Great Courses by grade/age?

Okay, I know that they're supposed to be college-level courses, but some are more accessible than others, as far as I'm aware. Netflix had The Inexplicable Universe by Tyson and my 8.5yo 3rd grader loved it. He of course didn't understand all of it, but I'm just wondering if we could make a list of the courses sorted more or less by age/grade level at which they would be interesting, even if not fully understood.

• Like 1

We have only used one so far but the kids really enjoyed it and it was definitely accessible - Great Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt. Bonus, it's only 12 lectures. The kids made Egyptian crafts out of clay while we listened. We are going to try more next year but I haven't started researching yet which ones!

• Like 2

My younger kids have not enjoyed any of them except for the corny high school history lectures (which I really can't stand.) I personally don't think they are the best source of teaching material for young elementary age kids.

I own 3 bookshelves worth of title. Yikes! Guess I have spent a small fortune on them over the yrs. I do really love using them in our homeschool, but we don't use them until middle school.

• Like 5

Which ones?

Physics in your Life

Everyday Engineering

Understanding the World's Greatest Structures - Science and Innovation from Antiquity to Modernity

Understanding Greek and Roman Technology

These are definitely not aimed at kids and they can be somewhat dry, but my little guy loves to watch these and it's amazing what he picks up.

My favorite is Everyday Engineering of the above listed.

We used a lot of the history ones starting in 5th, but many of them touched upon adult themes that other families might not want to expose kids too, but within the context of history it wasn't an issue for us. I also have a very mature accelerated learner. We listened to these together and would stop and discuss things. I have to admit that she is more tolerant of some lecturers than I am. 

We have used as few as 1 to as many as all of these different ones:

History of Ancient World:  Global Perspectives 

Food:  A Cultural Culinary History 

The Other Side of History; Daily Life in the Ancient World 

Cultural Literacy for Religion

History of Science

Maya to Aztec: Ancient Mesoamerica Revealed

Joy of Science

The Medieval World

History of English Language

Story of Human Language

Fundamentals of Mathematics

Algebra I

Joy of Mathematics

That's all I can gather from our records right now, but, again, I would NOT describe my DD as typical.

My younger kids have not enjoyed any of them except for the corny high school history lectures (which I really can't stand.) I personally don't think they are the best source of teaching material for young elementary age kids.

I own 3 bookshelves worth of title. Yikes! Guess I have spent a small fortune on them over the yrs. I do really love using them in our homeschool, but we don't use them until middle school.

To be clear, I wasn't planning on spending a fortune on them anytime in the foreseeable future. Our library has several of them though, and I'm sure my kids will get older over time as well. Just curious which titles might be interesting at what point. I did check out the meteorology one from the library last year (for myself) and was not impressed with that one - I'd rather read a meteorology textbook.

My boys are 12 and 10. They both enjoy

History of the. ancient world

30 greatest orchestral works

My older son loves the science courses. He's listened to

The origin and evolution of earth

The Higgs boson and beyond (i don't think many kids would like this. It was dry and complicated)

Einsteins relativity

How to listen to and understand great music (I don think he finished it)

• Like 1