Menu

Trying to recall if there is some issue with too many DE courses?

Something like a need to be careful that taking too many courses at a community college or local university if available can cause a high school child to be considered a transfer for applications to college rather than a first year, and that that can then cause troubles for getting in or getting financial aid?  Could someone remind me? And if I remember this right, what is a safe number of dual enrollment classes?

Youngest DS will very likely earn an AS degree before he graduates from high school.  No worries.  At all the universities he's considering he'll still be considered a freshman for admissions purposes, including eligibility for scholarships. He would only be considered a transfer student if he had college credits that were earned after high school graduation.

• Like 2

It depends on the college. Many will say that no matter how many DE courses a student takes, they should apply as a freshman, but some have limits.

This.

Check with the schools they will be applying to, most I have talked to do not count credits earned before high school graduation in the credit limit for consideration as a freshman applicant, but there are exceptions.

• Like 1

Both of my girls did full-time DE in 11th and 12th grade, and neither of them had any issues with universities being concerned about the number of units. Some colleges put limits on the number of units they would accept for transfer, but it didn't affect their status as freshman applicants. Some colleges would not accept any college transfer units that had been used to meet high school requirements. My oldest encountered this with Rensselaer, if I recall. I forget the others.

There are some other things to consider though. If a student takes any college classes after high school graduation, but before matriculating at their university, they may be find their status changed to transfer student. That means no CC classes the summer after high school graduation, before going off to college.

The other thing is that both of my girls avoided pursuing associate's degrees, because some colleges would have considered them transfer students, regardless of the fact that all the coursework had been done via dual enrollment in high school.

As others have said, it's really just best to check with the colleges that your child is considering.

• Like 1

Agree with above.  But, to argue for the other side, most schools have no problems with DEs as long as requirements for the high school diploma had not been previously met.

A few schools will not accept DEs if used to meet graduation requirements (but will still accept those NOT needed but taken before graduation).  A small minority won't accept DEs of any sort.