Menu

Human Body Study for Kindergarten

Amanda_Jo

We are studying this with dc age 8. For K, I would recommend:

- See Inside Your Body (Usborne Flap Book) -- really cute

- Let's Read and Find Out titles

- Human Body (A First Discovery Book) -- this was my dd's favorite in K -- lots of flaps and overlays, minimal text

- Magic School Bus videos and/or books

- DK First Human Body Encyclopedia (as a reference)

- Janice VanCleave, Play and Find Out About the Human Body

- and libraries should have lots of very easy readers

- for older kids we are loving the Seymour Simon books (Guts, Heart, Brain, etc) and the Body Matters series from Heinemann (Why Do I Vomit, etc),. And microslide viewer with human body slide sets.

We are using Head to Toe Science, Easy Make and Learn Projects: Human Body, and (to a lesser extent) the Evan Moor Your Body Works. IMHO, these books, esp the last one, might be too advanced for a kinder. But the Projects one could help if you made the projects for your dd. I know all kids are different, and I am writing from the point of view of my dc.

There are also Magic School bus kits (which I have not used). And my dd got something fun from Lakeshore -- an apron with stuffed organs sewn on and a brain hat. A lot of people have their dc lie down on brown paper and trace an outline, cut it out and label.

Lakeshore link:

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/search/results.jsp;jsessionid=Lj3W2WRkXTjcTq6DyN8JGvRRgMbWXvtTnD21pY19RfHG34C9KhTC!-104144416!-1317123821

....hmm, the link sort of evaporated. Go to Lakeshore and search "apron body organ" and pix should come up.

Edited by Alessandra

For K, this is the extent of what I'd do...My Body by Teacher Created Resources, picture books and learn "Dem Bones" song with Magic School Bus titles: Inside the Human Body, Inside Ralphie (Germs), and Explores the Five Senses.

For picture books I would use books from the Let's Read and Find Out Series, Level 1 books- Rainbow Resource has them as a package

THat is all that you need for K, a fun approach because it is more about having fun learning about science at this point than it is academics, make fun memories together.

We really liked My Body, by Teacher Created Press. You draw around the child on a big piece of paper, then color and cut out internal body parts from the book and glue them on. The text is easy to understand but gives lots of good info.

Both of us enjoyed it.

Some one mentioned the Janice VanCleave Play and Find Out about the Human Body. This is a great book, but wanted to second it!

I'll "third" this book. I picked this up at the library, and liked it so much that I went ahead and bought a copy for our home library.

Krista

• 1 year later...

I ran a (supposed to be quick) google search on "preschool human body unit study" and found this thread. The Little Otter link was PERFECT! Thanks so much! I just spent the last hour and a half requesting every single book from my library. They have EVERY ONE!!

I should have just come straight here. You guys never let me down!