Menu

Senior dog "wetting" when he naps. Need solutions...

alisoncooks

Our 14 year old chihuahua has recently started wetting when he naps (not every nap and not every day).  But still, since he's elderly he naps quite a bit, on the couch or my favorite chair.  So now they smell like pee.   :glare:

Looking for tips and hints. 

1. I need to clean the furniture first of all.  What is the easiest way to get pet-urine scent out of upholstery?  We only recently realized he was actually peeing -- so there's likely pee that we've missed that is soaked and set in (we initially thought the odor was just hot, stinky dog).
  2. I need to protect the furniture for future use (ie. a cover or something that is easily washable and removable when we have guests).  Maybe waterproof mattress pads on top of the cushions?  Or something else I'm not thinking of?
  3. Belly Bands?  Has anyone used these?  I wondered if he should wear one when likely to nap next to us on the furniture.

Can wetting in his sleep be a symptom of a health issue?  We're due to get a checkup in another month and a half, but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead get him checked out sooner... 

Nature's Miracle or Pure Ayre for the smell. I use both & I tend to get better results with Pure Ayre. Whatever you use, try to let it really soak in & stay damp - the enzymes need time to work. 

I think I'd probably go with the washable waterproof quilted pads that are sold in medical supply stores. Also waterproof crib mattress pads can work well. Depending on the size & orientation of your cushions, you might want to sew some elastic strips on the bottom so you can keep the pad on the cushion easily. 

I think I'd go more with diapers but then you do have to change & wash them just like a baby because they will get urine scald. 

Check out your options here (they have pads too) http://www.seniorpetproducts.com/dogs/wellness/diapers/

Yes, sudden urinary incontinence should be checked out.. Might be a uti or diabetes, cushings etc

But could also be plain old age. My old Bear did it at the end & it was just old age .

But with your guy, I'd pop him in & bring a urine sample with you. 

Edited by hornblower

One of our dogs did this when he had bladder cancer.  So I would definitely have a vet check him out (they can tell from a urine sample). 

We have had luck with Stanley Steamer coming out to steam clean the furniture and cushions, as well as with nature's miracle.

We have also used these pad/blanket things to put on the sofa in case he had an accident.  I don't remember what they were called but they were from one of the big box pet stores and they were machine washable up to 100 times or something.  One side was soft and one side was a shiny blue.  But the urine never soaked through.  We had one in his bed, one on his spot on the couch and an extra one just in case.

Good luck and I hope your little guy is ok!

Get him a belly band (male wrap).  If this continues, it is kind of like wearing a pull-up, except for male dogs, it is just a band that goes around his body and covers the pertinent area.

Here's an example of one:  http://www.amazon.com/PlayaPup-Belly-Bands-Incontinence-Training/dp/B0062AT5EE

I am not saying don't consult his vet; I would.

Edited by RoughCollie

We used a belly band for my toy poodle when he started having problems.  It really helps with the mess.  I would also contact my vet.  My dog was almost 19 when he started having problems.  The belly bands are really gross to change.  The concentrated dog urine has a terrible smell, but they really helped with messes in the house.

Suzanne

• Like 1

I just put regular baby diapers on mine. My human Baby is in size 3, dog is in size 2, currently. This is second dog with it, and I think it's just old age incontinence. This works if you have small dogs, of course. You have chihuahua so it should be fine.

Edited by MotherGoose

For the odors: Nature's Miracle. Get the gallon. Get the orange scented one. If any covers are washable, then remove them and wash as directed of course. Things that aren't washable can be soaked in Nature's Miracle. You want it to slowly evaporate for the best effectiveness, over 2 days or so. An easy way to help this happen is to put a damp towel over the treated item(s) or area(s) while it is drying out. In a day or two, when it's dry, do the sniff test. You can re-treat a second time if the first time didn't do it. 

FWIW, in my world, I simply throw away anything that is soaked in urine if it can't be machine washed. . . . I've gotten too old and cranky to put up with that. Then again, all my couches are IKEA with washable slipcovers, and I've gotten rid of every inch of carpeting in my house . . . You can say that I've had a LOT of experience with pet urine . . . and I have very little patience for it. Personally, I'd machine wash on "delicate" cycle anything I could unzip and get off. I've washed all sorts of things that weren't supposed to be washable. It's better to try than to throw it out right off the bat, lol. 

The only exception to my "throw it away NOW" rule is when we've had a declining/dying pet and I knew it would recur, but for a limited period of time. Then, once that pet passed on, we threw away that one couch (the last one I've owned without washable covers . . . It was free from a friend . . .)

(And, yes, I know the throw it out thing is a bit wasteful. I agree. I have more money now than I used to, and I used to put up with urine more than I do now. It's one of my little luxuries, lol. Plus, we've had a zillion animals for ever (up to 5 dogs and 5 cats at one point recently, all inside pets) and, because of my pet-related cleanliness fanaticism, my house doesn't smell like pets or anything at all unpleasant, and people with asthma and allergies can healthily live here . . . I know, because I am allergic to dogs and cats and have asthma, lol. The occasional discarded futon is the price we pay for living with pets. Actually, the discarded futon was from a 9 year old who wet the bed, lol. I don't even put up with kid urine any more . . . Washable slip covers rock my world.  And I really need to get waterproof mattress pads before the 9 year old comes back for his next visit this summer, lol.)

Anyway, on to the vet thing. Yes, do get in to a vet. There are things that can be done!!! Don't delay. Go ahead and get things checked out.

They also sell doggy diapers! Down side is that, like a baby, your dog will get sores if he sits in urine, so check it like you would a baby. Obviously, these will get pricey, so that makes that vet visit seem more affordable! :) When our old, sick dog was peeing all over (and was beyond anything vet medicine could do for her to help with the peeing), we got washable doggy diapers. They did help us protect the house during her last months. IMHO, they're a more affordable long term solution than disposable. 

And, I like your idea of a waterproof mattress pad. I'd get them for those favorite upholstered items, and then cover the COVER with a washable quilt or something like that. It'd look OK and be comfy and washable.