Menu

Spanish programs?

Holly IN

What are the best Spanish programs out there for a newbie 7th grader?

He is sort of a newbie. He did take Learnables Spanish in the elementary grades through a co-op. He hates that program. I am planning on buying him a new spanish program that he can use starting this summer to the next couple years. He is currently taking Latin here at home and plan on keeping up with it.

Any favorites?

Thanks so much!

Holly

...each one tends to have their strengths and weaknesses.

We have been using Rosetta Stone Spanish for about 3 yrs and supplementing with other things to help fill in the gaps/combat boredom/appeal to my children's dominate learning style (auditory -- at least for the oldest two).

Maybe you can ask folks about a specific program, for example "How did you like Bob Jones Spanish?" or "How did you like Standard Deviants?" and possibly get more feedback.

HTH!

We are piecing together our own. I minored in Spanish and can teach it fairly well to my dc as they are just beginning (keep that in mind!). Right now, dd11 is using Kimber's AWESOME program called The Fun Spanish (available on http://www.lulu.com for like $15?). It's NOT a whole curriculum, but it IS fun and a GOOD start! I borrow Spanish programs from the library (like Berlitz and others) so dd can listen to actual Spanish speaking. We read simple picture books in Spanish and try to find short audiobooks in Spanish. I give simple commands in Spanish and she follows. We have some Usborne Spanish vocab. books (fun and colorful) that she uses to memorize words. On the Spanish board I think that Galore Park So You Really Want To Learn Spanish was recommended as well as La Clase Divertida (might be a bit young for a 7th grader). There is Powerglide of course (never used it so can't say good or bad), Learnables, etc. Sorry I can't be of help saying yeah or nay to any but try Kimber's at Lulu. She really did a good job on it. Do you know any native speakers (either Spain or Latin America) who can converse once a week with your dc? THAT would be huge. I'm trying to line that up for my dd as we have a big Spanish population at our church. HTH

We are doing a combination of Speedy Spanish and The Fun Spanish. It is working alright here but my kids are much younger than your son.

However, Speedy Spanish is very much not an self learner program. You need a teacher to explain it and there is not enough repetition to be useful. The teacher needs to come up with appropriate games, review sheets, work sheets, etc or it just won't stick. I would not recommend it unless you can do it together and a bigger group is better. And even then it is difficult because the material goes so fast with no review or explanation.

Today was our first day of The Fun Spanish, I am alternating weeks so that we have enough time to get the vocabulary from Speedy. My kids thought the material was funny and even did a little basic translating. This is a good supplement.

I don't know anything about other programs, too expensive or on video (bad for us). I hope this helps

Jenne in AZ

(dd9, ds7, ds3, someone new in Sept)

(Sprog and Mouse)

Here's the chart with the options: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/spanishcurriculum.htm

Great job, Cindy! You beat me to it:). I was going to recommend she see Paula's Archives too.

I have a review of our experience with Rosetta Stone on my blog, if you are interested (sorry it's not a very sophisticated blog, you'll have to do CTRL F and type "Rosetta" to find it -- blushing). I used it in college and found it very helpful. My children are younger than yours, but they are doing very well with it. I think the key is supplementation (I like Pimsleur and other items you can get at the library).

I also like what the other poster shared about reading simple books and listening to simple stories in Spanish. Do anything and everything you can to get your child immersed in the language.

Best wishes!

I tried this program and I did not think it was very good. It lacked in just about everything. Besides I see it as more appropriate for a 5th grader. I like the Galore Park product but you would have to some knowledge to use it, although a highly motivated child *might* be able to do it. Ask me more about it if you are interested. To be honest from what I have seen out there the GP book is the best out there.

HTHs,