Menu

Chrome book / Laptop / IPad / Desktop question

StartingOver

I need to get an inexpensive computer for the kids. I would prefer portable and a smaller keyboard. Our Kindles don't cut it for the reasons below.

Whatever I get will be for school so needs to have something to type papers in with keyboard, WiFi to send files back and forth to my laptop or phone, and be able to view websites : videos, Quizlet, YouTube, Adobe Flash things.

Suggestions? As basic as possible so as not to encourage playing.

costco has an acer 2n1 touchscreen for $230 after in store rebate.  2n1's are nice for the flexibility as you can also use it as a tablet.

I just had to get 2ds a laptop for school yesterday.  (we got him a different one- he has to have a numpad).  he's previously managed to avoid it.  (he also has an e-textbook.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

I second the Chromebook. I have an acer that was less than $200 when I bought it. It's nothing fancy, not a touchscreen. BUT it's been amazing. It runs much faster than any laptop I've had. I don't have to worry about viruses, etc. My dd even spilled water on it, and after drying it out, it's still working!

The catches: It's a glorified tablet w/ a keyboard. Everything runs off apps, so you can't just download a program onto it. For kids, shouldn't be a problem. For me, it's not a problem. I can manage a blog, type reports, make charts....everything I need to do, I can do on my Chromebook through Google Docs, Sheets and Slides or other apps or web-based programs. Just keep this in mind if you need it to run or install a specific program.

Let me just add this: the Chromebooks are amazingly sturdy! I've never had a laptop be able to handle this kind of treatment! It's goes back to it being more like a tablet...it doesn't have all the extra parts that laptops or desktops have. Since it's built and operates more like a tablet, it is more portable and less sensitive to movement.

The kids have an old desktop to do their reports and schoolwork on, but when that desktop dies, they will get a Chromebook to use for school. (This one is mine! They can't have it! :tongue_smilie: )

One other catch: make sure that you can set your printer up wirelessly to Google print. If you can't, there's ways around it, but it just makes life so much easier!

I have a small laptop I bought at Target, It's an Acer and was about $200, this has been over a year ago. I ended up with a smaller laptop over a chromebook as there were some programs I needed to put on it and I didn't want something so Internet dependent.