Menu

Telecommunications failure, Backup failure, Online students...

Lanny

Wendy not in HI:     The Seller listed the property as having Broadband Internet service, among the utilities.  The Seller apparently sold that service to someone else.  That would be considered "Fraud" here in Colombia, a Criminal matter..  Breach of Contract in the USA.   If you cancel your offer for the house and if your family has suffered economic damage from this, possibly you have grounds for a claim against the Seller.  

• Like 1

:laugh: Our library has a large covered overhang with cafe tables and chairs, originally meant for moms and kids to eat their snacks (no food in most areas of the library), to the side of the main entrance.  It's become a favored teen hangout in warm evenings, after the library is closed, for just this reason.  I smile every time I pass.  Unintended benefits accrued from universal design...

What a fun hangout!

• Like 1

There is no way I would buy a house without internet service being available.  Even the government is changing to using the internet for many public functions like filling out the FAFSA form.  I would think you could get out of the contract because not having a necessary utility that was advertised seems like a breach of contract.

• Like 2

There is no way I would buy a house without internet service being available.  Even the government is changing to using the internet for many public functions like filling out the FAFSA form.  I would think you could get out of the contract because not having a necessary utility that was advertised seems like a breach of contract.

+1   The listing included Broadband internet service among the utilities.  The Seller, apparently, sold the Boadband internet service connection to a neighbor.  That lowers the value of the property.

Now, the Seller cannot deliver the house with Broadband internet service to  Wendy not in HI

If a Seller did that here in Colombia, that is Fraud, which is a Crime which = jail.

In the USA, that is Breach of Contract. That is a Civil matter.

I agree with transientChris.  I would not buy a house where Broadband Internet access is not available.

Wendy not in HI needs to cancel the offer to purchase.  If Wendy not in HI has out of pocket expenses related to the purchase, the Seller should reimburse for those costs.

If there is any reluctance from the Seller, Wendy not in HI should retain an Attorney who specializes in Real Estate Transactions.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Lanny,

My oldest forgot to pack his laptop today for his online class which he does at the library due to him having a class nearby later and hubby dropping us off before work. (I don't drive and this is about 8 miles from home)

We happily borrowed a Lenovo laptop from the library's customer service desk for free to use for 2hrs. We could run Blackboard Elluminate well on that one and its a Windows 7 laptop with IE and Chrome browser.

Never ask a kid to check his backpack before bed :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice.  We decided to drop the contract on the house yesterday.  We were told that we would receive our earnest money back, and we are not going to have to retain a lawyer or anything.  It was early in the house buying process, so we haven't lost money to pay for inspections or anything.  We felt like maybe there was some other dishonesty that made us uncomfortable.

We are a little heartbroken over the whole thing.  Such a beautiful home in the perfect location.  The right schools. Good commute for my husband. A large shop/garage for his woodworking/ukulele building hobby, etc.  It seems so silly, but the internet is really important to our family.  Where we live now, each and every form I fill out for school asks if we have adequate internet access for our children to succeed in school. 

So, no house.  We are taking a couple weeks break from looking at houses, to just reset and evaluate what we need and want. We are a military family and we're getting ready to move back to an area that we have been stationed at 2 times before.  We love it there, and we know just where we want to be - which is great, but is also limiting our options.  We think we will end up retiring there and would like to own a home and keep it as a rental if we move away.  But today I'm feeling like trying to live on base for a while is not a bad idea...

Thanks again for your help in feeling like we aren't crazy!!

• Like 2

Wendy not in HI    IMO you did THE correct and only thing you could do for your family.  IMO it is NOT silly, in 2016, to have Broadband Internet access as a requirement.  IMO you might consider sending a box of Chocolates and a bottle of Wine to the wonderful person who told you what the Seller had done with the Internet connection. I had been thinking of suggesting that you reduce your offer on the house, by a modest amount, approximately $150K less, because of the lack of Broadband Internet access. I bet that would have gotten the attention of the Seller.     God bless you and your family for your service!