Menu

Exercise Thread: April 3-9

Kim in Appalachia

Last week was rough for me.  I had a bad bout of insomnia.  It really messed with me.  I seem to be back to normal. :)

On Sunday I did 90 minutes of Ashtanga yoga, the 2nd series.  It was a bit too advanced for me, but it was fun to try.

Today I ran 4 miles, plus did 3 rounds of squats, pull-ups, push-ups, and swings, then a 5 minute core workout.  I have hot yoga tonight, which I'm really looking forward to, since I missed it twice last week.  

I'm also sitting here debating if I should purchase ebook/program that helps get you to a real pull-up.  It's by Lauren Brooks, who does kettlebell stuff.  I have a few of her dvds as well as another strength program.  She's good, very good.  She's able to have that balance of pushing hard, but not too much so that you get hurt.  

I would have to purchase the book, $40, and then also a suspension trainer, $30 on Amazon.  I have everything else.  Part of me really wants it, since it will be a program focused on upper body strength and core, and not lower body.  I had to stop using her dvds because I was doing too much when I combine it with running.  I'm running between 15-20 miles a week, and I'm doing a little strength work 3xs a week, but I'm careful not to push it too hard.  I have been mostly enjoying focusing on more yoga.  But at my age, yoga is not going to add strength.

Anyway, I'm unsure if I should put the money out, and if I'll be able to do the program with the time I have.  

And because I've been laughing at myself for the argument in my head, I have to put this....#FirstWorldProblems...:D

• Like 2

I just got back from walking 60 minutes at the gym, then doing some weight stuff for my arms. I intended to restart Couch25k as a way to lose some weight and help tone up a bit, but shortly into my first run, my right knee reminded me why I have not kept up with running. So, I walked at a brisk pace with a decent incline for 60 minutes instead.

I will do some rowing at home later tonight after the kids go to bed.

• Like 2

I just got back from walking 60 minutes at the gym, then doing some weight stuff for my arms. I intended to restart Couch25k as a way to lose some weight and help tone up a bit, but shortly into my first run, my right knee reminded me why I have not kept up with running. So, I walked at a brisk pace with a decent incline for 60 minutes instead.

I will do some rowing at home later tonight after the kids go to bed.

Sorry about your knee.  :(

Got my hour long kick boxing class in. We did cardio, chest, triceps, and abs. It was a tough one but I feel great now.

I just learned that dh's work started an adult fight class that I think I want to take. I'm just not sure if it is an actual class or training for their employees. I'll have to ask dh. I'm not back to mma fight shape but I could get there within the next few months.

• Like 1

Tuesday was 90 minutes of yoga

Today I ran  4 miles then did single leg deadlifts, presses, and one arm rows.  I also did some core work on my new suspension trainer. :D I caved and bought it and the pull-up program, which I plan to start next week.

I currently can do about 5 to 7 chin ups with the assistance  green band.  If I can make and progress I'll be thrilled.  

• Like 1

Mind if I join in?

I started Whole30 back in January and have stuck to it and lost over 20 lbs.  I started exercising on April 1 to mix things up and, to be honest, get the scale decreasing faster.

I haven't exercised in years.  I have done Cathe Friedrich DVDs in the past, so I started doing her April 2016 rotation.  I had to change around a few of the workouts to accommodate life.  Today I did a 63 minute steady state step routine.  Yesterday I did legs and glutes so I'm about ready to fall over. 

• Like 3

I'll be heading to my cardio kickboxing class in about 2 hours. I believe it is leg day which will be murder because of my bad knee. I'll find ways to modify things to protect my knee while still working my legs well. Today is weigh in day and I'm happy to say I'm another 2 lbs down, 12 total since mid January. Lots more to go.

• Like 3

I started an Ugi fit class last month- it is perfect for supporting the moves I need to be able to do in jujitsu.  The class is at 5:15 a.m.:(  I've been making it about 2 a week and really love it.  This morning was wonderful.  

• Like 3

So I got to my class and realized there was something wrong with my sports bra. I investigated it in the bathroom and it appears that a child took a pair of scissors to one part of it. I could still wear it but the support was subpar throughout the workout. This was my last good sports bra at this size, bigger size because of nursing. I gotta go out tomorrow to buy a new one which is a process because I have to get refitted. Oh well.

• Like 1

Today is arm day. I can't wait to get this baby out of me and do some Shaun T!

Mind if I join in?

I started Whole30 back in January and have stuck to it and lost over 20 lbs.  I started exercising on April 1 to mix things up and, to be honest, get the scale decreasing faster.

I haven't exercised in years.  I have done Cathe Friedrich DVDs in the past, so I started doing her April 2016 rotation.  I had to change around a few of the workouts to accommodate life.  Today I did a 63 minute steady state step routine.  Yesterday I did legs and glutes so I'm about ready to fall over. 

YAY! Welcome! I've been pretty touch and go, but when I'm not pregnant I post enough here to be quite annoying. I love these threads because you get to know the people and know where they're coming from when you ask for advice.

Got back to Zumba today, yay! Did 60 minutes of exhilarate. I *will* master this one. Maybe. Also maybe glad I don't have a mirror, lol.

Someone recommended I videotape myself to critique my technique. Great idea! But no.

I just finished a weight workout of chest, triceps, and shoulders.  Hope I can still move my arms tonight.

Tonight yes. Tomorrow no.

So I got to my class and realized there was something wrong with my sports bra. I investigated it in the bathroom and it appears that a child took a pair of scissors to one part of it. I could still wear it but the support was subpar throughout the workout. This was my last good sports bra at this size, bigger size because of nursing. I gotta go out tomorrow to buy a new one which is a process because I have to get refitted. Oh well.

Such a unique problem. What kind of sports bra do you like?

Slache, not sure what brand I like as I haven't bought a new one in years! At one point between kid one and 2 my mom treated me to a shopping spree. I chose to go to a place that fits you and helps you find ones for your specific needs. I got a few then and this was that last of them, that was 6 years ago! It hooked in the back and fit phenomenally well. My boobs are huge so I really need a sports bra that holds well. I have other sports bras but they aren't good for intense fast paced workouts. They work for Tai chi or power walking but my cardio workout needs a better support bra . im hoping to go to the same bra shop and get something similar

• Like 1

Sunday--rest day

Monday-- Zumba

Tuesday-- can't recall! 

Wednesday--most of a lower body workout and some upper body; had myofascial release for hamstrings and deep tissue work on a knotted trap muscle; was advised to hold off any any additional exercise

Thur--hike outside

Fri--helped a friend get started on strength-training, but didn't partake myself b/c still sore from massage. I need to go walk but am procrastinating!

• Like 3