Menu

Permaculture gardening

ErinE

Does anyone do this? 

I learned about it through the Tenth Acre Farm blog (I think I found the website from a gardening thread here). There's so much information and I'm interested in learning more. I've read Paradise Lot and I'm now reading Gaia's Garden.

What are some of your favorite books or websites?

I can't remember what books I've read, I mostly just plant stuff, see what works, plant more stuff, replace stuff that died...

I'm not a very organized gardener. I love harvesting from my yard though; I had sorrel, ramson, chives, and bunching onions (all perennials from my garden) in the soup I made today.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I garden based on permaculture principles.  I am terrible at following recipes and such though, so I kind of wing it a little.

For books - Gaia's Garden is a nice one, not overwhelming which some of the more technical ones can be for a beginner.  It's also directed at fairly small bits of land.

Anything from Bill Mollison is worth looking at, as it goes right to the beginnings of permaculture.

Once you get started you inevitably find all kinds of other great resources.

• Like 1

I garden based on permaculture principles. I am terrible at following recipes and such though, so I kind of wing it a little.

For books - Gaia's Garden is a nice one, not overwhelming which some of the more technical ones can be for a beginner. It's also directed at fairly small bits of land.

Anything from Bill Mollison is worth looking at, as it goes right to the beginnings of permaculture.

Once you get started you inevitably find all kinds of other great resources.

I'll check out Bill Mollison. His name has come up on several websites.

Right now, I have a suburban lot and open lawn that's 32' X 35'; small is good. I don't have space for water features and HOA code forbids farm animals though rabbits may be allowed. I'm focusing on vegetation and forest gardens. I want to plant some fruit trees so I've been researching guilds.

Right now, I have a suburban lot and open lawn that's 32' X 35'; small is good. I don't have space for water features and HOA code forbids farm animals though rabbits may be allowed. I'm focusing on vegetation and forest gardens. I want to plant some fruit trees so I've been researching guilds.

That's similar to my sitation, yard-wise.  Water-features are hard to have big, but you can have them small.  We just have a little bird bath that I put out in an area with some plants - it doesn't get many birds, but insects really enjoy it.

Water for your garden needs though is about the number one thing to look at in a permaculture system.  For the suburbs that probably means water barrels.  I've got one out front and two out back - I need to add another for the front this summer and that should be enough to cover my needs for now.  Unfortunately I feel like the front needs to look pretty - out back I have cheap used wine barrels, but they are a little ugly for the front yard and the nicer looking ones are more expensive - the front  has more garden though because I don't need room there for dogs and kids, so I really need more watering capacity.

Look up "matt powers the permaculture student!" Its permaculture curriculum!

For inspiration, not necessarily applicable advice because hes in Oz, watch sll the geoff lawton and zaytuna institute videos on youtube.

Gaias is really great, but short on practicable advice for the beginner imo.

The permies forum is so super helpful! When i get to my laptop ill try to remember to come back with more links! Very fun! And since you own your place, right?, it can be a process.

You can posdibly import some animal "help" if you get friendly with an organic farmer? And modify your cover crops and interplantings to account for decreased animal inputs, for sure. Could you possibly set up a fish tank? That could be all the animsl input you need for such a small space!

I've noticed there's a lot of activity in New Zealand and Australia for permaculture farms. If I ever get to visit the countries, I'd love to tour some of the sites I've seen online. The focus in the US seems to be more on homesteading rather than permaculture.

Permaculture was first developed by Australians, so it really got its start there.  Especially with a lot of the earlier materials, I think they tend to be slanted in the direction of that kind of climate - much warmer than what we have here in Canada.

One thing that might be useful is to look at places in your state or near it that offer permaculture design courses.  They tend to be offered by the same kinds of places that offer natural building workshops.  I was just googling my area and found one available at the end of the month - just an introductory week-end course, the certificate course is much more expensive.  I'm going to see if I can go I think! 

Permaculture was first developed by Australians, so it really got its start there.  Especially with a lot of the earlier materials, I think they tend to be slanted in the direction of that kind of climate - much warmer than what we have here in Canada.

One thing that might be useful is to look at places in your state or near it that offer permaculture design courses.  They tend to be offered by the same kinds of places that offer natural building workshops.  I was just googling my area and found one available at the end of the month - just an introductory week-end course, the certificate course is much more expensive.  I'm going to see if I can go I think! 

It would be interesting to attend one a workshop, just to talk to like-minded people. Most of the permaculture courses nearby are three hours west and south of me, located in a college town surrounded by semi-arid brush. My area gets more rainfall and has more forest. I'm hoping I'll learn enough online to adapt to this area.

I studied Permaculture with Mollison--he was one of the 2 main founders of Permaculture.  

Read his main textbook (or at least have it to refer to): Permaculture: A Designer's Manual.

Where are you located?

I studied Permaculture with Mollison--he was one of the 2 main founders of Permaculture.  

Read his main textbook (or at least have it to refer to): Permaculture: A Designer's Manual.

Where are you located?

United States, Zone 8A.

You did WHAT?! Pen thats awesome!

This reminds me that i was told once that Steiner--as in walforf-- invented perma culture.

zone 8 should give a lot of leeway...   You ought to be able to use fruit tree shade to grow things that need more coolness.  We have managed to get some things to become weed-like by letting them seed themselves so that while not really perennial, they are taking over some areas.   

You did WHAT?! Pen thats awesome!

This reminds me that i was told once that Steiner--as in walforf-- invented perma culture.

Steiner's ideas are the basis for biodynamic gardening and farming.  It has some similarities to permaculture, but there are some significant differences as well.  For example, it has strong elements of astrology.