Menu

"catching up" for math

pjssully

My daughter is 9 years old and has a difficulty in math. I have suspected learning disability at times. She is behind in math, mainly due to my health over the last few years (i had to stop HOmeschooling for a few m onths each year) and changing curriculums trying to find one that she "likes" I am sure no matter what we choose, she will complain. We hit a brick wall last year with singapore and just quit. Tried to pick up saxon three this year and i hate it and she hates it. We are doing My Father's World for history and many of the other subjects and their recommendation is to go back and start at 1a for singapore. I am thinking that Right Start might also work but i truly am STUCK!! What should i use--i am driving myself nuts. we have the card games for RS and i have used portions of RS so i am familiar with it. I guess i don't care what we use, just need to know if anyone has any advice at to which would help us catch up faster.

thanks for any input

pam

My daughter is 9 years old and has a difficulty in math. I have suspected learning disability at times. She is behind in math, mainly due to my health over the last few years (i had to stop HOmeschooling for a few m onths each year) and changing curriculums trying to find one that she "likes" I am sure no matter what we choose, she will complain. We hit a brick wall last year with singapore and just quit. Tried to pick up saxon three this year and i hate it and she hates it. We are doing My Father's World for history and many of the other subjects and their recommendation is to go back and start at 1a for singapore. I am thinking that Right Start might also work but i truly am STUCK!! What should i use--i am driving myself nuts. we have the card games for RS and i have used portions of RS so i am familiar with it. I guess i don't care what we use, just need to know if anyone has any advice at to which would help us catch up faster.

thanks for any input

pam

I have a 9 yo dd who is extremely math delayed. I can only share what we are using. We started with Developmental Math this year. It is going VERY well so far. We've nearly finished one book, and it's seemingly working for her, as I see her applying what she's learning in other situations when we aren't "doing" math. That said, I do supplement some with Singapore. I have found that DM is something that she is actually enjoying doing without complaint. She's excited that we have nearly completed a book, too. She feels successful with it. The pages are not full of color, there is plenty of space on the page. It's not at all overwhelming. I read that this program was good for special needs kids.

The RS Abacus is another great tool. Also, I am thinking about buying FlashMaster for her.

Oh, and last but certainly not least, another book that has been very good for my child is Teach Your Child Math by Arthur Benjamin. This is a fantastic book. It's out of print but you should be able to find it through an interlibrary loan.

Good luck.

Anita

First, I suggest you change your mindset. It helped me SO much when I stopped trying to get my son "caught up". Instead, I decided to put him in a grade level math book that he could be successful in and just work diligently everyday. I decided that I didn't care if he ever "caught up", but I did care if he REALLY *understood* the math concepts he's working on at the time.

When I change my line of thinking, he was 9yo and I put him in Saxon 1. Actually, I probably could have put him in Saxon 2, BUT he NEEDED to feel VERY successful in math for a while and Saxon 1 gave him that. He zoomed through Saxon 1 in just a few months.

We tried MUS before starting TT and it didn't work well for him(actually, I also tried it before starting Saxon 1).

It sounds like things are very frustrating and discouraging for you and her at this time. Sigh. I can relate to that.

First, I'd say just relax. With a little planning, consistency and patience, you'll get things back on track in no time.

You need to repair your relationship w/ your dd, homeschooling and life in general can really stink if this isn't in balance. Spend some time w/ her over a tea party, planning her school work. Have her give input. Make her feel as if she is part of the process.

I would not say that your daughter is behind. She and you have just lacked consistency in the recent past, which is not uncommon when real-life gets in the way of homeschooling. It happens to most of us.

Just to let you know, here's what I do when a child is 9:

Copywork using FLL (daily..takes about 10-15 minutes)

Math (oral math work at this age for my children...or just a few math problems to build skills in learing adding/subtracting...takes about 15 minutes)

Handwriting/Penmanship using HWT (5-10 minutes)

Memory Work (FLL)

Read Aloud (we are reading The Little House series) I read a chapter at lunchtime.

History (very casual approach...I read from SOTW and the children just narrate back to me or answer questions that I ask about the reading)

That's it for us at that age! Works like a charm and takes little time. Consistency is key. Hugs and patience are required, too, Momma.

Spend some good time bonding w/ dd daily. This is most important!

Blessings,

Camy

My 13yo dd has had such a terrible time with math. We've tried so many different ways to get through to her.

Finally we combined MUS and TT. I also drill her daily with a Flashmaster on her basic math facts (addition, multiplication, etc)

We're seeing progress. This year her average is a 96 so far!

Kelly