Menu

Library Board of Directors

Rachel

Has anyone served?

Our library is looking for two people for the board of five. It's a 4 year term with monthly meetings. I've read the minutes of the meetings for the past year, it appears to be mostly approving the director's decisions.

I live in a small community that is very political, I didn't grow up here so it can be difficult to get to know people. It is a great community though and I think it would be a great opportunity. The children's librarian encouraged me to apply, I love our library and am there often.

What do I need to think about before applying? The deadline is next Friday and I am leaving town this Thursday so I have to quickly decide whether or not to apply.

I am currently serving. It is rewarding. I would go for it. I think it is very important for people who are actually using the library to serve, preferably the whole library including the children's section.

• Like 2

Is it possible to serve as an Alternate first?  I did that for two years, and really enjoyed it (very little responsibility -- just showing up to meetings, and possibly helping out with small projects).  I opted not to join the board, though, as it is impossible for me to make a multi-year commitment with homeschooling and so many small children at home.  I could see that serving as a regular board member would involve committee work, attending other town meetings, and outside projects beyond the once-a-month meeting.

• Like 1

Another thought if you are interested in serving your library and meeting people in town --- might you be able to lead a book discussion or similar event now and then? I was asked to do one this summer for the regular town book club at the library, and may also start a parent/child book club. The lovely thing about this is that it is much more fun and much more within my skill set than sitting in meetings, and I can always stop it if I get overwhelmed without having to break a 4-year term.

• Like 1

I think that is good that they would have a homeschool type representative. You know the library and its needs probably better than most!  My husband served.Same type of thing, small town. He basically had meetings to attend, but other than that didn't bring any of it home with him, so to speak.