Menu

A Child's History of the World

Love2Smile

Ive looked everywhere I cannot find samples at all. I may just purchase the book from Sonlight. I think it's the cheapest there

Calvert school has the rights to it and only a few places sell it. You won't find text samples, but Rainbow Resources let's you look at the table of contents online. They sell for the same price as sonlight but a little cheaper shipping.

I heard so many varying remarks I didn't know what to think but since I received it I like it.

We love it here. Love it. I started our year out just continuing to read it with my nine year old (with a six year old sitting in sometimes) from last year(started it last Spring). The further we got into it, the more we all loved it, so I started Sonlight Core 2 (we had done Core 1 awhile back but my son didn't really remember Hillyer much) because I like their book choices and I wanted to use CHOW as a spine for a more thorough study... not just a read aloud on its own. So, I'm using SL now because of this book though you certainly can use other book lists alongside CHOW if you want to. Or, just read it alone. A fifth grader could easily read it alone but it is a great read-aloud.

Alot of moms don't like Hillyer. I do. It's a great one-book overview. We will do SOTW later on, but I'm glad we are doing Hillyer first.

Someone had a copy listed on the used board for a good price. Maybe it's still available.

Blessings

I just borrowed the book from a friend b/c I was considering buying it. I hate to say that I hated it b/c I wanted to like it so much, but I really did hate it.

Coming from a Christian perspective, I immensely disliked the beginning, but I tried to look past that part of it. I tried to read many sections throughout the book but I didn't like his style at all. I gave the book back and decided I'm not going to buy it. hth!

Buy used. We LOVE it! My son and I are using Calvert, so we have the lessons and enrichment activities, but so far, we look forward to history each time we see it on the schedule. I am loving it as much as him. :)

We got the CD and he wasn't in love because it wasn't as interactive as most you buy. If you buy the CD, you really don't even need the book. If we didn't have the book and enrichments, I would have probably just went with the CD.

HTH!

Definitely look for it used: I picked up two copies at the used bookstore for $1.50 apiece! I like CHOW, but I think it might be a little bit...childish for a 5th grader. Now, I've never actually taught with it--that's just my impression from reading it. Others with more experience might well disagree, and I would defer to them. :001_smile: And I suppose it depends on the child.

You might want to check out the Guerber histories at The Baldwin Project. They're fantastic, IMHO.

Definitely look for it used: I picked up two copies at the used bookstore for $1.50 apiece!

I would be *very*careful* about doing this. You want a copy printed in recent years (I'm thinking since 1990, but I'm not sure)... It's been updated several times, and some of the older editions have some pretty offensive comments towards non-white peoples... While they can be discussed with our kids in their historical context, I wouldn't want a child to come across them unprepared.

I would be *very*careful* about doing this. You want a copy printed in recent years (I'm thinking since 1990, but I'm not sure)... It's been updated several times, and some of the older editions have some pretty offensive comments towards non-white peoples... While they can be discussed with our kids in their historical context, I wouldn't want a child to come across them unprepared.

This is an important point, Abbeyej--thanks for the reminder. Mine are "new" (that is recently updated) used editions. I should've made that caveat, too. Thanks again for that. :001_smile:

Another one-book option is The Story of Mankind. I like it and we'll use it later. It may be just right for your ten year old or may be a bit too much.

But, it is available on-line, so I thought I'd throw that out as an option for you.

You can read the whole book here:

The Story of Mankind - Van Loon

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/VanStor.html