Menu

Millet recipes

You can split it into portions and freeze in little sandwhich baggies. Then when you want some, say with vege soup, just warm it up inthe steamer and eat. That's what we do. And no, I don't care for millet straight either, even though we eat it. I usually try to have something more interesting like soup to make it go down.

Thanks Hollyday, I thought it was just bird food!:D

Just make sure you get hulled millet. The unhulled stuff is birdfood. I've made the mistake before and had the wretched stuff boiling on the stove for nearly an hour and wondering why it wasn't cooking. :lol:

We like these:

MILLET CROQUETTES

1 cup. millet, cooked

1/2 cup celery, finely diced with the leaves

1/4 cup carrots, finely grated

1/2 cup onion, diced

1/2 cup rice flour (other flours would probably work too)

1/4 cup parsley, chopped

1/2 cup water

1/2 tsp dill

1/2 tsp oregano

dash salt

dash cayenne pepper, if desired

*1. Boil 3 cups of water, add 1 cup of millet. Re-boil then cover and simmer for 30-40 mins.

2. Preheat oven to 350 F/ 180C.

3. Mix the millet and veggies in a large bowl. Add salt, flour, herbs and water, mix well. Form into small balls or patties and place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray (or oil it lightly). Bake for 25 mins. To make them crispier either brush with a little oil or spray on a little cooking spray.

They're a bit dry though, so you'll want to serve them with a sauce to dip in. Salsa might do the trick.

:)

Rosie