Menu

High School and transition math plan for teen with special needs

My 17 year old son with autism will be finishing up Teaching Textbooks 7 and Ace Math 7 sometime this summer. Math is his strongest subject, particularly computation. Conceptual and practical application are not. Although he can likely "do" Algebra I, I am not sure he should, if he will not use it in real life. I am not even sure if he should do Prealgebra. His language is severely impaired; his expressive and receptive language and comprehension seemed to have leveled off into the 4th grade range. A regular diploma for him is out of reach at this time, unless there is a magic cure for his language disorder. I plan on homeschooling for the next 4-5 years while he hopefully works part time and trains as a musician (another strength). An evaluator said his calculation skills are solid enough to do accounting or bookkeeping so I don't want to short change him, and would like to keep his math skills sharp. But his word problem solving skills are very weak, especially if they involve multi steps, and especially if they are oral (auditory processing disorder for sure). I would like to begin to introduce all manner of consumer math/life skills math over the next few years but would like to keep a steady rotation of previously learned math skills so he does not forget those skills. Ideally, I'd like to to find a curriculum that not only reviews all previously learned arithmetic concepts, but does so in a practical way, with lots of real world application, but with language at no greater than a 4th-5th grade level. I realize this may be a needle in a haystack, but I thought I would throw this out there to see what the hive might know. I am actually ok having him do ACE Math 8 and Teaching Textbooks Prealgebra this fall (the later is mostly review), but then what?

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions!

Edited by bluebonnetgirl

Well, you might look at CLE.  They have a consumer math program.  Not sure how good it is.  It may be High School level.  Also, just CLE in general might be good.  Lots of review of previous concepts.  Word problems are more basic in structure.  I would give a placement test.  The scope and sequence are different from TT.  Also, CLE includes a lot of practical application metric and Imperial measurement in daily lessons.  I can't recall if TT includes a lot of that.

By the way, the first light unit of every level is review of the previous levels so those are great for review but are not representative of the program as a whole.  Pre-algebra is covered over two levels, 700 and 800, with level 800 including more practical application math.

ETA: fresia and I cross posted.   :lol:

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

We are kind of in the same boat you are. Our neuropsych told us not to worry so much about doing algebra but work on  real world application problems. Having him make change or figure out how much time he need to get ready before leaving home and have to be on time for something.  We are looking into grocery cart math and checkbook math, and probably do MUS stewardship level. I know there are many more consumer math type programs out there.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies.  CLE sounds like it might work as a good year round "keep it fresh" review program, taken as slowly as needed.  I will look at levels 5-8 to see which one or ones would be the best fit as far as being a good review of all basic math that would be needed in everyday life.  

As far as consumer math which is written at a lower language level (no higher than 5th), do you have any specific recommendations?

Has anyone seen CLE's consumer math?  There does not seem to be any samples on their website.  I am concerned it could be written at too high a level, and may be too "farm community" oriented. 

I am looking at the offerings of Remedia Publications and they all look quick and doable.  I am also looking at some of the offerings on Wieser Education, and see a lot there that could work.

This one looks particularly good:

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/real-world-math-px1361.htm (Real World Math)

These math games also look good:  http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/e_mathematics/22-e_life-skills-mathematics/life-skills-math-games-re1441.htm

Any other favorites?

• Like 1

I actually own the CLE Consumer math but it is in storage.  I will try to dig it out over the weekend and get back to you on that one.  I remember thinking it seemed to be a bad fit for my kids at the time I acquired it, but I don't remember specifics now.  I kept it so I guess I thought it would be useful further down the road.

Along with the Real World Math you linked there is this Life skills math program through Weiser:

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/e_mathematics/22-e_life-skills-mathematics/consumer-mathematics-mm7371.htm

I recommend trying to actually find Weiser materials on Amazon used.  Much cheaper.

Sorry, I linked the wrong thing above.  That is Consumer Math and may be too advanced.  This is the AGS Lifeskills math.  It might work better...

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/e_mathematics/22-e_life-skills-mathematics/life-skills-math-mm7361.htm

Even that one requires a basic understanding of fractions/decimals and probably percents.

Edited by OneStepAtATime

Thank you One Step.  When you have a chance to look at the CLE consumer math program, I would really love your feedback!

I will have to compare the Wieser consumer math books.  My son has a very good understanding of fractions/decimals and percents, at least on paper.  He is very good with calculation, and has tested as being competent at the 8th grade level for math.  Word problems and real world application are what he needs to work on.  I will have to closely compare the Real World Math to the Life Skills Math and see which one seems to better to use first.

• Like 1

Perhaps you could rather introduce him to 'algebraic thinking', rather than algebra?

Which basically starts with the answer, and then working out how to arrive at it?

Which could start simply with:  3+?=7.

Where ? becomes a variable.

It could be 4 or (3+1) or (2x2).

So for example, with working out how to get ready to leave home, within a certain time?

It could start with the answer of 60 minutes, and then identifying the tasks required to be done?

Then ordering them.

With the time allocated to each one, as a variable.

Consumer math, could also be introduced using the algebra process?

Which starts with the amount that can be spent.

Then identifying the items to bought.

Where the cost of each becomes a variable.

Which also introduces prioritization of each item?

But the basic issue, is starting with the answer, and then exploring ways to arrive at it.

• Like 1

I think my son has a pretty good understanding of the algebrreic principles you mentioned, at least in writing.  There is quite a bit of prealgebra in his Math 7 program from ACE.   What he needs is lots and lots of practice using them in real life.  First starting with word problems on paper, then maybe games, then generalizing it to real life.  The real life generalization is the big hurdle, due to his auditory processing issues.  I still have not given up on working on those, from a remediation standpoint, because they seem to be the root of the issue.

Edited by bluebonnetgirl
  • Like 1

I'll recommend the AGS line of books.

The ones with samples at Weisner Ed, but buy them used, not from their site, too pricey.

I like some Remedia stuff too. My Dd is doing menu math & market math this year (the + & - set, not the x & % sets). She's working around a grade 4 level & they are at least meaningful math to her. Go for the higher level ones if you get them if he can do TT7.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

I just received a CLE catalog and they have a new math called Practical Math. It covers whole #s, decimals, percentages, measurements powers and roots, rations and proportions, plane figures, solid figures, and graphs. Applied problems in agriculture, construction, electric, HVAC, manufacturing, maintenance, mechanics, plumbing and welding. It looks great! Talk about applicable, even if dc don't go into these fields. Just had to share ;)

• Like 1

Thank you One Step. When you have a chance to look at the CLE consumer math program, I would really love your feedback!

I will have to compare the Wieser consumer math books. My son has a very good understanding of fractions/decimals and percents, at least on paper. He is very good with calculation, and has tested as being competent at the 8th grade level for math. Word problems and real world application are what he needs to work on. I will have to closely compare the Real World Math to the Life Skills Math and see which one seems to better to use first.

This weekend is crazy. I may need a reminder...