Menu

I hate buying mattresses. Where do you buy yours?

*anj*

I hate it because it feels like I'm buying something at the whim of the manufacturer or the vendor. I mean, if I want a KitchenAid mixer, I can pick the model and color and then check Williams Sonoma, Macy's, Target, etc. and compare prices. I know that I'm comparing apples to apples. But with mattresses you don't know because the Sealy Super Deluxe II is only available at Sleepy's. If you go to Mattress Discounter and look for that they carry the Sealy So Cool Deluxe IIa, and the price is different and you just don't know what you're comparing and whether or not you're getting the best deal.

Okay, enough of the whining. Where do I shop?

We've been shopping this week. Best prices I have found are at Sam's.

Yep, Sam's is where we bought our mattress. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be a piece of "carp." Haven't even had it for 3 years, and it's already starting to fall apart! :confused:

Turns out the Serta Perfect Sleeper ain't so perfect after all. :tongue_smilie:

I second the "carp" from Sams. We bought the pillow top. I hate, hate, hate, it. Did I say I hate it? We have to turn it around every few weeks or I feel like my head is in a hole, you know my feet are higher than my head. I have actually dislocated my neck sleeping crooked on a pile of pillows. I told dh last night my back was starting to hurt, time to turn the bed. The pillow top is also hot. We have had it about 2 and half years and started the turning 6-8 months after we bought it. We even tried to turn it over but the bottom is really quite hard!

We bought ours at Sleeptrain, but I think it might be a regional chain. If you do happen to have one nearby, we were happy with our experience.

What makes mattress shopping a total pain for me is the lack of comparison shopping--the mattress names change from store to store. It really makes it hard to tell if you are getting a good deal.

Good luck!

We gave up, lol. Just too confusing. We finally walked into a local showroom -- I dunno, Mattress Firm? maybe -- and said, "We don't know what we want, but we want it now". It actually worked great. She asked if either of us flopped a lot, and dh looked at me and I looked at the floor. Then she showed us to three beds in a row and told us to try each and then tell her what we thought. It was like a cross between Goldilocks and the eye doctor! We told her which of those we preferred, so she took us to another part of the store, "Okay, now try these two, and tell me what you think"... Etc...

We ended up with something we liked, it came the next day... And we've been very content.

Maybe not the cheapest option, but we've been very happy. We went "cheap" the last time, and paid the price :P for years. (And she didn't push us toward the most expensive stuff in the place at all...)

I like Mattress Cowboys the best, but I think it is just a local store in Central NJ. The Queen size bed I bought pre dh from 1-800-Mattres is too firm. I wanted firm, but I also wanted soft. There was no place to try out their beds, I just had to take their word for it.

After we got married and then bought our house, we went to Mattress Cowboys to find a King size bed. I told them what we wanted, firm but soft, and I told them the brand and name of the one I had and when I bought it. The salesperson was able to direct us to 3 choices and I found I liked the firm pillowtop but what I liked best was that we could try them out. I still find I get the best sleep on that bed even though it is almost 12 years old.

We actually drove by a few weeks ago and I was happy t see the store still there. :)

Well, *anj* our last 2 mattresses have been from The Denver Mattress Co. one was a free replacement. That said, the new one is less than three years old and needs replacing...And I'm not getting the free replacement this time. They start out great, but quickly turn on you.

My ds has a mattress from another local company that is awesome. They have a web site and the beds with stats and prices are all there on-line. I went in, showed them my picture and asked for delivery. I'll be getting our new bed from them. They are a factory/seller and make the beds there on site.

Edited by Tammyla

I like Verlo Mattress Factory (I don't know if they are nationwide). Verlo will rebuild your mattress if you are not satisfied! You can customize your mattress - some of the options are free. They also have a good warranty. The quality is supposed to be better, and the price is comparable to the name brands (the sales pitch is that you actually get more for your money) . If the # of coils is not as high as the brand names, Verlo coils are thicker and more durable. They are upfront on what's inside the mattresses, and which mattresses are for guest/children only.

Overall we've had better luck with Verlo, and another local mattress factory. We've tried department store brands, with average to poor results. Although- MIL bought a good set from Sears, years ago, which has held up well.