Menu

Bible for Pre-K

happynurse

Hello, all! I'm looking for recommendations for a Bible curriculum for my son for this fall. He'll be 4.5. I am hoping to find something that is more than just..."Noah built an ark, a flood came. Now color this rainbow." We go to BSF once per week so he does get a lot of Biblical instruction from there, but I'm looking for something we can implement at home during our pre-k homeschool. Right now we read from The Beginner's Bible and the Jesus Storybook Bible (almost) daily. What recommendations do you have that have some depth, but are still age appropriate for the pre-k crowd?

PS - I don't mind coloring pages at all. In fact, I think my son would like them. I just want the teaching to have a little bit more 'meat' than just the really, really basic stuff.

Thank you!

We do The Jesus Storybook Bible and love it. It sparks great conversations. There's a curriculum to go with it but we haven't used it. There's also

. Positive Action was a bust here, but I bought it based on the recommendations of people who liked the higher levels so we'll probably go back someday. We love My ABC Bible Verses, The Bible for Kids App, and the What's In The Bible? series even though we're not huge Veggie Tales people.

We will start The Bible Study guide for All Ages this fall (it's age appropriate for your son I'm just dying of pregnancy and don't want something that complicated right now), and will probably do Leading Little Ones to God and The Children's Book of Virtues between now and then.

Edited to fix link.  :blushing:

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

Thank you! I didn't know there was a curriculum for the Jesus Storybook Bible. That is convenient! I was looking at BSGFAA as well. It looks like what I'm after, only a little bit hodge-podgy in terms of the order. I wondered if there was something along the the lines of BSGFAA that was laid out chronologically? I suppose I could make it work the way it is written if needed. I appreciate your help!

We used this for our littles: http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Story-Book-Dena-Korfker/dp/0825430453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457380921&sr=8-1&keywords=dena+korfker

While it's not a perfect choice (I take doctrinal issue with using the term "church" for temple or synagogue) it covers more than 300 Bible stories in chronological order and has review questions for people who don't want a child to narrate back. It's simple enough to engage most preschoolers but not so dumbed down that a 6 year old couldn't get something out of it. The author commentates here and there now and then, but that's easily skipped over. 

• Like 1

We do The Jesus Storybook Bible and love it. It sparks great conversations. There's a curriculum to go with it but we haven't used it. There's also YouTube videos. Positive Action was a bust here, but I bought it based on the recommendations of people who liked the higher levels so we'll probably go back someday. We love My ABC Bible Verses, The Bible for Kids App, and the What's In The Bible? series even though we're not huge Veggie Tales people.

We will start The Bible Study guide for All Ages this fall (it's age appropriate for your son I'm just dying of pregnancy and don't want something that complicated right now), and will probably do Leading Little Ones to God and The Children's Book of Virtues between now and then.

I didn't know JSB had a curriculum!! YAY! 

• Like 1

Hello, all! I'm looking for recommendations for a Bible curriculum for my son for this fall. He'll be 4.5. I am hoping to find something that is more than just..."Noah built an ark, a flood came. Now color this rainbow." We go to BSF once per week so he does get a lot of Biblical instruction from there, but I'm looking for something we can implement at home during our pre-k homeschool. Right now we read from The Beginner's Bible and the Jesus Storybook Bible (almost) daily. What recommendations do you have that have some depth, but are still age appropriate for the pre-k crowd?

PS - I don't mind coloring pages at all. In fact, I think my son would like them. I just want the teaching to have a little bit more 'meat' than just the really, really basic stuff.

Thank you!

Do you get the take home sheets from BSF? There should be some suggestions on how to extend the weekly lesson. There are also sheets (green I think) for talking about the lesson at home with family members who aren't in BSF, obviously you would have to gear it toward your child.

I miss BSF! My older kids aged out of the daytime program and my youngest isn't old enough for the evening program.

As a family we have used "Leading Little Ones to Christ" as a devotion. It's an older book but I found a used copy inexpensively online. I can't find my copy at the moment, after my kids are tucked in I will double check the title.

ETA the correct title is Leading Little Ones to God by Marian M. Schoolland. Every lesson is a virtue, a description, a few questions to think about, a bible verse, suggested bible reading, a hymn (most I don't know), and a prayer.

It can be used as a script or a guide.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

Some of my favorite preschool Bible resources are:

• Bible Nuggets from CLP--Comes with an activity book that's mostly coloring, but some cut & paste activities too.
  • Big Thoughts For Little People--a devotion for each letter of the alphabet, plus they look for things in the picture, which my DC really enjoyed.
  • Hide "em in Your Heart CDs for Bible memory--these are really well done.
  • The Singing Bible--4 CDs of Bible stories, I like that this includes Bible stories you don't often hear in songs
  • Bible Discovery Devotions by Martha Larchar--Each devotion has a verse, fingerplay/song, prayer, and extra activities.  I'll be using this with my 2.5 year old DS, but it's intended for ages 4 and up.
  • The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes is another good one.  There are enough readings to do this every day, plus a few comprehension/discussion questions for them to answer at the end of the reading.
  • Like 1