Menu

Help me decide what math to do next

DS will be a senior next year. He is the very definition of a "non-mathy" student. He hates math and has struggled with it from about 5th grade on. He is currently working on Saxon Algebra 2 and has completed Geometry, but has no desire to trudge through anything higher. He will likely transition into a local CC before going to a 4-year college and has zero interest in a field that is math heavy. What math would you recommend for his senior year that will both help to transition him from high school to college, but also not absolutely bog him down into a miserable mess his last year?

I would suggest a personal finance class. Dave Ramsey has one but there are others. This is a graduation requirement for our homeschool.

I'm actually considering personal finance. The Dave Ramsey curriculum appears to be the most popular in this particular area; however, the samples I've seen so far don't really show much math. Are there actually math problems to complete? I was also hoping for something more secular. Do you have any suggestions for something without a religious component?

I found a few free online personal finance courses...moneyskill.org and foolproofteacher.com, practicalmoneyskills.com. As far as the math involved, I have no idea, but at the local public high school here, they require 4 years of math to graduate and have several options for senior year math for the non-math kids, of which personal finance is one. So assigning a math credit for that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

I actually thought about that, but one of the local colleges does not accept CLEP at all and the other doesn't accept it for math. :sad:

What about working toward CLEPing College Algebra?  Around here, it's the minimum math required for most majors, and if he can CLEP out of it, he may not have to take any math in college (a thought which my math-hating dd adores).

When I spoke to DS last night he actually said that he wanted to do Practical Math Applications with Personal Finance at home, so I think that's what we're leaning towards. He should be able to complete one each semester. I think I'll throw in some problem solving from Crossing the River With Dogs as well as a bit of algebra review, too.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'm actually considering personal finance. The Dave Ramsey curriculum appears to be the most popular in this particular area; however, the samples I've seen so far don't really show much math. Are there actually math problems to complete? I was also hoping for something more secular. Do you have any suggestions for something without a religious component?

No, there is essentially no math in Dave Ramsey's course. Well, you calculate interest, add and subtract making a budget, a few little things, but it is not math heavy. Dave's course is secular. He keeps it secular because he sells it to a lot of public schools.

I would have him work through College Algebra. He can take it at the CC or he can just work through it at home. Even a music major is likely to be required to have College Algebra or higher level math to graduate from college. He can either DE it to get it over with, or work through it slowly through the year so it isn't so hard when he takes it in college.

• Like 1