Menu

Completely OT Vent: LuLaRoe stuff is hideous

StephanieZ

Some of those are cute - completely age inappropriate for me, but cute for those who can wear them. I've only seen some leggings and the ones I saw were hideous. I also read something about how you don't get to choose your patterns (or solids, which are apparently quite hard to get). The LuLaRoe salesperson gets what she gets and doesn't know in advance of a party what she'll have available. It just rubs me the wrong way to think you should be super happy about not being able to get the colors/patterns you want. Oh, it's a surprise! No, it's not.

The comfort factor and ability to just fold the clothes up and pack them without fear of wrinkles reminds me of a line in the 80s (or maybe the 90s, I don't remember). I think it was called Weekenders or something like that. All the clothes were made of some comfy cotton blend and could be rolled up and tossed in a suitcase without worrying about wrinkles. The styles supposedly went from office to dinner out by just adding or removing a few accessories.

This is what makes no sense to me. Why would people accept this? Or maybe it's just that I don't impulse-buy clothing much - or ever.

No one would ever convince me that wild, colorful patterns are just what my bottom half needs. When I see leggings like this out and about, I can only think, "Someone lied to her..."

• Like 5

Hahahahaha...  I think your neighbor went to college with me.  Is she also constantly posting videos of herself trying on stitchfix clothing and asking if she should keep them?  While simultaneously fishing for compliments?  Yes, that dress does look too big on you, you definitely need a size 00.  No, that beige looks amazing, totally keep that top!!!

• Like 1

Some of those are cute - completely age inappropriate for me, but cute for those who can wear them. I've only seen some leggings and the ones I saw were hideous. I also read something about how you don't get to choose your patterns (or solids, which are apparently quite hard to get). The LuLaRoe salesperson gets what she gets and doesn't know in advance of a party what she'll have available. It just rubs me the wrong way to think you should be super happy about not being able to get the colors/patterns you want. Oh, it's a surprise! No, it's not.

The comfort factor and ability to just fold the clothes up and pack them without fear of wrinkles reminds me of a line in the 80s (or maybe the 90s, I don't remember). I think it was called Weekenders or something like that. All the clothes were made of some comfy cotton blend and could be rolled up and tossed in a suitcase without worrying about wrinkles. The styles supposedly went from office to dinner out by just adding or removing a few accessories. 

It was the 80's and the store was called units. Loved them.

As I said earlier in this thread, I don't shop with companies that don't refund my money if I am not satisfied.  Add in the salesperson doesn't know what they are getting ahead of time and it sends me running faster from the room.  Now the salesperson is stuck with a stock of ugly clothes they can't unload.  Thanks, but no thanks.

• Like 2

It was the 80's and the store was called units. Loved them.

As I said earlier in this thread, I don't shop with companies that don't refund my money if I am not satisfied. Add in the salesperson doesn't know what they are getting ahead of time and it sends me running faster from the room. Now the salesperson is stuck with a stock of ugly clothes they can't unload. Thanks, but no thanks.

We wore Units in the 80's! Homemade ones at that. A long, straight skirt with some kind of long tunic top, and a fabric band that went around the waist in a complimentary fabric. They were soft knit and very comfortable. I remember feeling very grownup in my faux Units outfits! 😀

• Like 3

I never put much thought into the patterns, but my husband bought me a pair (he has a couple pairs and loves them) and I HATED the way they felt. The fabric is horrid. I know a lot of people love it, so maybe it's just me, but I found them incredibly frustrating. He ended up giving my pair to a friend. I'll stick to my cheap Target leggings--much more comfortable and a third of the price!

I avoid all MLM, but I especially don't like how you can't just order what you want, and there's all these "rare" prints, etc. Seems to be marketing strategy to get people all fired up and feisty over "unicorns" (is that what they call them? My husband rambles on about it every now and then...I don't pay much attention, can you tell?). Seems kinda icky. 

• Like 2

They're not my personal taste, but I can see how they would appeal to some people with different tastes than mine. As a quilter I have an appreciation for a really wide variety of pattern colors, images and scales.

I don't do social shopping of any kind; it's not how I roll. I think it's weird to want to go to a party with a bunch of people just to hear a sales pitch and look at merchandise. 

I'm not a fan of the MLM approach business. I'm sick and tired of being invited to all sorts of MLM parties from church people and FB friends.  I consider it an abuse of the church directory and FB friendship. I get them all the time.

• Like 2

They're not my personal taste, but I can see how they would appeal to some people with different tastes than mine. As a quilter I have an appreciation for a really wide variety of pattern colors, images and scales.

I don't do social shopping of any kind; it's not how I roll. I think it's weird to want to go to a party with a bunch of people just to hear a sales pitch and look at merchandise.

I'm not a fan of the MLM approach business. I'm sick and tired of being invited to all sorts of MLM parties from church people and FB friends. I consider it an abuse of the church directory and FB friendship. I get them all the time.

Start declining MLM parties by saying, "I'm sorry but I find those parties rather exploitive of women's friendships." You will stop getting invitations. At least, I have for the most part.

• Like 4

There was a time in my life when I enjoyed them but it's been more than 10 years since I went to any. All of my invitations were coming through facebook the past few years so one day I made a post telling people not to take offense but I don't go to MLM parties so please don't invite me. I stopped getting most invitations, though there's one person who still includes me when she has parties. She loves them and thinks of them as a way to get together with friends. I'd rather just get together with friends and leave the consultant (a person most of us have never even met) out of the picture.

• Like 1

Start declining MLM parties by saying, "I'm sorry but I find those parties rather exploitive of women's friendships." You will stop getting invitations. At least, I have for the most part.

Good to know.  I'll start doing this because it's honest and straightforward and gives people the kind of feedback they need.

• Like 1